Oven and Hob wiring options | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Oven and Hob wiring options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

borofc

Ive done a bit of research regarding wiring in my new hob and oven but cant seem to find a concrete answer so here goes:

Oven 4.78 - 5.20 kw
hob 5.5 - 6.6 kw

1) can I wire both these in to my existing outlet replacing the the current outlet plate with a dual outlet plate, from previous reading I think the load will be too much but I am not certain.

2) I spoke to a friend who suggested wiring the hob in to the existing outlet plate and using 4mm heat resistant cable on a standard plug and socket, although my oven manual states 4mm cable is sufficient I doubt a standard 13a plug.

Any help is appreciated I currently just have the wired in to the existing outlet on 6mm cable and the hob is sat gathering dust until I find a solution.

need to know the size of cable feeding the cooker point, and the MCB size. if it's 6mm cable, just fir a dual connection unit, MCB should be 32A if cable is derated due to insulation. 40A if method C.

edit: don't even think about putting on on a 13A plug, or it won't just be the dinner that gets burnt.

Last edited:
Ive done a bit of research regarding wiring in my new hob and oven but cant seem to find a concrete answer so here goes:

Oven 4.78 - 5.20 kw
hob 5.5 - 6.6 kw

1) can I wire both these in to my existing outlet replacing the the current outlet plate with a dual outlet plate, from previous reading I think the load will be too much but I am not certain.

2) I spoke to a friend who suggested wiring the hob in to the existing outlet plate and using 4mm heat resistant cable on a standard plug and socket, although my oven manual states 4mm cable is sufficient I doubt a standard 13a plug.

Any help is appreciated I currently just have the wired in to the existing outlet on 6mm cable and the hob is sat gathering dust until I find a solution.

I doubt if you'll get a 4mm cable into a stanard plug-top, personally i've never even tried ...lol!! If your on a standard kitchen cooker point is 6mm T&E/32A MCB use your method 1) above. This arrangement is good for a cooker loading upto 15KW, your combo is under 12KW

Oh sorry forget to include it is 32a mcb with 6mm cable, I thought my mates suggestion was a bit wayward. Thanks for everyones quick replys.

Ok so just found some info in my oven manual stating that when a hob is fitted adjacent or above the oven, a 45 amp switch should be used.

so again im slightly confused. can I replace my current outlet plate with the click easy fit dual appliance plate and with both appliances on the 32a mcb or do I have to upgrade the MCB and isolation switch to 45a.

Thanks once again for everyones advice.

Oh sorry forget to include it is 32a mcb with 6mm cable, I thought my mates suggestion was a bit wayward. Thanks for everyones quick replys.

Ok so just found some info in my oven manual stating that when a hob is fitted adjacent or above the oven, a 45 amp switch should be used.

so again im slightly confused. can I replace my current outlet plate with the click easy fit dual appliance plate and with both appliances on the 32a mcb or do I have to upgrade the MCB and isolation switch to 45a.

Thanks once again for everyones advice.

Your existing cooker switch is already a 45A switch, Just connect your two leads from the two appliances to a dual connection plate at the cookers cable outlet box normally situated below the worktop and behind/in fitted kitchen oven space....

exactly as engineer54 says. you have to take into account that the appliances will not be running at full rating due to the fact that all elements are thermostatically controlled and switching on and off automatically, thus even with everything switched on, they will not all be pulling full load at the same time.

Reply to Oven and Hob wiring options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net