Part P here to Stay | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Part P here to Stay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted already but looks like Part P is here to stay as the Parliament review committee believe it has had a positive impact over the last few years, they do however look like they are going to reduce the amount of work that is classed as notifiable and make some changes as to who can notify the LBC which should bring the cost down for those that don't want to join a Competent Person Scheme.

This is ESC link to the news ESC WELCOMES SELECT COMMITTEE REPORT ON PART P : Electrical Safety Council

and the full report is here House of Commons - Building Regulations applying to electrical and gas installation and repairs in dwellings - Communities and Local Government Committee

Yep,thats the can of downright lies and the manupilated opinions of those MPs unfortunately

It surprises me not that Mps can be so manipulated and still remain ignorant of reality
Think yourself lucky,in Wales we wont even see a change from the present set up for years beyond this report,that is, if ever

Some odd comments it recognises that people are buying MCBs etc of the shelf from the sheds which is clearly wrong so recommend putting warning labels on them warning of the dangers!!! Unbelievable!!

They have highlighted every problem with great accuracy regarding the competant person scheme, and yet there still saying it works !!!!!!!!

Some interesting issues raised in the parlimentary report.
Wonder when the part P changes are going to be introduced ?

This is from the ESC site,

The Government is currently undertaking a public consultation on Part P. The consultation will close on 27th April 2012, with any deregulatory changes coming into force in April 2013. Any amendments with a regulatory impact will take effect in October 2013.

What will change though ?
My guess is.....

CU changes , re-wires , bathroom work and new circuits will remain notifiable.
Kitchens , gardens and a few other bits will be de-regulated.

What does everyone else reckon ?

Last edited by a moderator:
They have highlighted every problem with great accuracy regarding the competant person scheme, and yet there still saying it works !!!!!!!!

not only that but their "fix" is to to reduce the amount of work that needs notifying and to put labels on electrical accessories in B&Q telling people they aren't allowed to use them!

So, only a registered person can install it but it is legal to buy it and still no one will check what a DIYer does with it......
So Tell Me Again About The Hash Bars Sound Clip and Quote

What will change though ?
My guess is.....

CU changes , re-wires , bathroom work and new circuits will remain notifiable.
Kitchens , gardens and a few other bits will be de-regulated.

What does everyone else reckon ?

minor works in kitchens and bathrooms etc will be ignored. I reckon new circuits might stay. Our LABC has already told one of my customers that adding new lights in his bathroom doesn't need notifying unless a new circuit is installed.

Speaking to one of my American cousins today. He said in America if you don't use a registered electrician your house insurance will not pay out for damage as a result of an electrical fault. Given the UK's insurers ability to dodge payments I am surprised they have not yet cottoned onto this.

As for part p did any one really believe the clowns we have in Parliament (in all political parties) and the Civil servants assisting them have any idea of what the real world is like?

I've heard people referred to as nail technicians before.......
And what MP was that?
Can you say?

Regarding the nail technician title, I was being slightly sarcastic.... Seems anyone and everyone can get a "technician" title after a few weeks training these days.

Not sure who the MP was. It was an article on Radio 2 when I was driving to a job. They were talking about giving council tenants money to go on a short training course for various home repairs to save the council money. Materials would be supplied free of charge by B&Q. The MP was singing the scheme's praise and saying how these "apprenticeships" could lead to work placements for many.

all that will happen here is a bit of musical chairs....a few things will be shuffled around...an ammendment here....a tweek there.....back to business.....and to put stickers on MCBs n stuff saying about danger n all that is nowt but a disclaimer...

Competent Person Schemes should work more closely with the Local Authority Building Control, to assist more closely with adherence to the Building Regulations. We see force in a requirement for work to be notified to the relevant Building Control before that work is carried out, and we recommend that the Government studies such representations in the consultation exercise seriously. We also see scope in allowing a member of a Competent Person Scheme being able to take over responsibility for inspection and testing of DIY and non-registered electricians' work from the Building Control Body.

Great, let the DIY brigade mess up the job then make money by failing their installation -kerching!

Reply to Part P here to Stay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net