Permitted to periodic insp and test? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Permitted to periodic insp and test? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle! I'm a qualified electrician to the 16th edition, and also have my c&g 2391 (inspection and testing). My girl friends Dad owns a furniture shop and is the landlord of the two flats above it. He requires a periodic inspection and test to be carried out on all three installations. He has asked me to do the job as i'm looking to go self employed so am starting to look into getting bits of work like this as a kick start. So my query is am I legally permitted to carry out a periodic inspection and test, and sign off the certificate if i'm not registered with a specific scheme? Can I down load template certificates from the internet to use? With the shop been classed as a commercial property and the flats a domestic would this make a difference to any regulations regarding 'Part P'? Any guidence at all would be apprciated. Thanks guys.

Part P is not required to undertake PIR's, however high level of experience & competence is. You can download Blank Reports and Certs (look on the IET website) or buy the relevant forms wholesalers etc.

Generally a Flat above a shop will require part P to work on, if the supplies are shared from the same service head then so will the shop.

Last edited:
PIR`s are not a notifiable work as you are not installing any new wiring therefor part p does not come into it, under bs7671 there is no formal need for any qualifications it just requires competent persons, i trust you are as you are qualified? and you can download and print off, PIR, installation, and minor works certificates from the ELECSA website free of charge, you will need to fill these out twice, one copy for your recs and the other to the customer

You can indeed carry out a PIR, A usefull guidence note is best practice guide 4 issue 2a periodic inspection reporting from the electrical safety council, download it, I found it usefull for codes etc.

Last edited:
Only thing I would say is as you will be assessing these installations to the 17th edition of the regs, it may be worth while you sitting the 17th edition course.;)

The strange thing is , I think that I'm right here, that you can inspect, test and declare satisfactory ,(or not). Any remedial work needed can be done by you in the shop even though it's accesible to unlimited members of the public, but if you do any in the flats, ( which because they are rented are unlikely to be altered by the tenants) LABC has to be notified. I wouldn't do it without public liability insurance though!!

yes it`s crazy, someone who cannot even do the simplest of jobs in someones house without notifting BC can go into a school, office, restraunt, workshop, etc etc and do thousands of pounds of work and not have to tell anyone

Reply to Permitted to periodic insp and test? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net