Photocell | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Photocell in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This might be glaringly obvious and I'm over thinking it but here goes. On a bill of quantities I received it asks for stair lighting to be controlled by a solar timeclock and a photocell. Will the photocell be energised when the timeclock switches so the lights are only on during the 'on' periods, and only if the photocell allows?

Depends on the characteristics that the customer wants, the nature of the stairwell and the ambient light in the stairwell.

Generally if there is a high level of natural light in the stairwell then the photocell would be there to prevent the lights coming on in daylight.
The time clock would then be generally unnecessary but could just hold off the lighting until the customer thinks it should be dark, however this could lead to the lights not coming on when it is say stormy dark outside and lead to danger.

I would anticipate that the intent would be for the lights to only come on if the natural light was dim and have a timer rather than a time clock so that the lights went out after a period to save energy.

Reply to Photocell in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Is there a need for a timer and a photo cell. Is there a need for a contactor ?
Replies
Views
Back to the Men's Shed today to complete the installation of the 4 LED battens in the attic. These were a joy to fit, having screwed the units to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'd start by doing the usual supply impedance tests followed by N-E voltage with the installation under some load. Also visually inspect and...
Replies
Views
As a trainee, one of the things I've tried to focus on to deepen my interest in the world of electrics, is the space for creativity. I've...
Replies
Views
i turned off the TV amplifier for a block of flats during Eastenders once. Flipping heck….4 burly blokes bearing down on me effing and blinding! A...
    • Funny
    • Informative
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks