Pig feeder system | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pig feeder system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Hello after abit of advice on adding a automatic start to my granddads pig feeding system,
when I installed it 8 years ago it was wired with a sensor on last feeder so when it was full it turned off and need start button pressing on the night.
has any one put a auto start system in ? do I need to add a magic eye on one of the feeder pipe if so wots the best way of wiring it now.

any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

It will be bolted down. Systems come pre wired to run constant unless isolator is switched off so I really don't see the issue. You would wire a fan to a thermostat that is only protected by a guard with 4 bolts and no interlock. does the bonnet in your car have an interlock switch, if you start your engine stick your hand in and loose a finger who's fault is that. If you take 2 screws out of a db cover remove the bus bar cover you can touch live parts shall we fit a ****ing interlock to them too?????

It will be bolted down. Systems come pre wired to run constant unless isolator is switched off so I really don't see the issue. You would wire a fan to a thermostat that is only protected by a guard with 4 bolts and no interlock. does the bonnet in your car have an interlock switch, if you start your engine stick your hand in and loose a finger who's fault is that. If you take 2 screws out of a db cover remove the bus bar cover you can touch live parts shall we fit a ****ing interlock to them too?????

If you read all the posts on here regarding industrial situations it would appear that everyone working within a mile of the place is attempting to commit suicide via electricity and it is the industrial electricians jobs to prevent it with locks and signs lol. It quite amazing they even make it in to work without sticking their head under a car wheel!!

If you read all the posts on here regarding industrial situations it would appear that everyone working within a mile of the place is attempting to commit suicide via electricity and it is the industrial electricians jobs to prevent it with locks and signs lol.
Exactly these are the rules put in place by factories not by hse pig feeders are manufactured and sold in this way so clearly it complies with current standards

There are 2 EU directives you need to know here -

- 1 The Machinery Directive
- 2 The Use of Work Equipment by Workers at Work Directive

These directives are directly related to the Essential Health and Safety Requirements (EHSR's) from the machinery directive and can be used to conform the safety of equipment in the Use of Work Equipment Directive.

Reading your responses to the issues we raised its becoming clear you really have no clue as to your requirements and probably don't realise how to do a risk assessment and design, alter or extend a system to conform to it.

The OP set-up is a manual start and no mention to it ever been supplied as an auto option, of cause some feeders may be sold with this option but to be CE compliant it would have to comply with the above - if any one alters, makes additions or designs the control system of any machinery then they must do so having a full knowledge of the above as well as the LV Directive of which the BS 60204 will probably play a big role...

Mock it and drop silly comments all you want but all this does is show your incompetence in this field, its not just about understanding how to achieve the desired control system, to be fully competent you need to know the weight of responsibilty you place on your shoulders. By doing any additions or alterations to any machinery exempts the manufacturers of liability and places it on you shoulders - any future accident that comes to the attention of H&S will see you answering some very tough questions, I've been there a few times and shown I took all the necessary steps to conform to regulations and met the required risk cat' placed on the machine....(It was the operators by-passing safety measures that was the issue on both cases), like I said before; this may be a simple case of the machines design allows for auto set-up with minor alterations and still meets its safety cat' but it must be mentioned and made clear that it may breach the required directives by making alterations without ensuring the machinery still complies.

t-s a pig feeder is a machine it has no bearing if its in a factory or a field it still has to meet all the EU regulations and directives, these strict measures are put in place because people get killed and seriously injured daily and mainly through mis-use, over-riding safety systems and lack of understanding to the dangers, we have to build machinery and controls to be idiot proof because these are the people that tend to run them on minimum wage.

I had a similar set-up where they had been quoted £120 to have an auto feature with a timer, I quoted over £700 and explained why to the company director, he went with my quote and informed the other guy he lost the job because he didn't do a risk assessment and bring it into line to comply with an auto start option...

Last edited:
t-s I’ve fitted many automatic feeder systems, mainly for chemicals. The principal is still the same be it pig nuts or chemicals.

Your total lack of knowledge is staggering! Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

As for Mr Anderson backing you up, I’ll hold my peace. I could speak my piece but I won’t.

t-s I’ve fitted many automatic feeder systems, mainly for chemicals. The principal is still the same be it pig nuts or chemicals.

Your total lack of knowledge is staggering! Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

As for Mr Anderson backing you up, I’ll hold my peace. I could speak my piece but I won’t.

The Matrix ;)

Reply to Pig feeder system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net