PIR Sensor Issue | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss PIR Sensor Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I bought a PIR sensor for the back. There is one existing light out there but I plan to later add up to 3 more. In the meantime, I want to ad the PIR sensor to the current light. In the sensor there are three wires in the block (Two live and a neutral). One live (red) has a light bulb symbol next to it and the other (brown) has a shock symbol next to it. I have tried several combinations, but it still fails to light and as there are only live and neutral going to the light, it would keep being over-ridden by the switch. How do I fix it to use both the switch and PIR independently?
Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
on the pir, brown is live feed, blue neutral. then your light goes from red/blue. your switch can stay as is, or be diverted to switch across brown and red in the pir.

I suspect that you have a switch line and a neutral feeding the light. In which case as it stands, you will be unable to use it as a two way lighting system unless you use the switch as an override, but that will require you to change the wiring in the switch and pick up the associated neutral for that circuit.

For the PIR to work, it needs a permanent live and neutral as well as the switch line

Normally in that situation the switch would need to be on all the time for the PIR to do its job. However some PIRs will go into manual if you switch then on-off-on within a few seconds, that way you can have all your combinations.i.e. Perm off, perm on and PIR controlled on. Check with PIR instructions to see if this facility exists, if not buy a different one.

Normally in that situation the switch would need to be on all the time for the PIR to do its job. However some PIRs will go into manual if you switch then on-off-on within a few seconds, that way you can have all your combinations.i.e. Perm off, perm on and PIR controlled on. Check with PIR instructions to see if this facility exists, if not buy a different one.

Not necessarily, There is a way of using a single pole two way switch as a change over while supplying a continual feed to the PIR.
PM me and I'll show you how its done.

Reply to PIR Sensor Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net