Pirate Power Supplies | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pirate Power Supplies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MikeM3

-
Reaction score
In an earlier thread that I started about floating neutral, we had quite
a discussion about, "Back Feeding my Flat", from a DIY, solar set up, I,
unfortunately, wouldn't do this because my system doesn't have an earth,
several people who replied to my various queries, all said not to feed any
system supplied, by the national grid, without doing it technically right,
using the proper switching and wiring done by somebody who knows.

Now I have found several contradictions to those, correct suggestions,
companies based in the UK, who are selling, "Balcony Solar Systems",
who's customers back feed their systems.

This seems to be legal, as they are being sold on the open market, here
in England. The affordable ones, for ordinary people, unfortunately, have
very small outputs, starting at 80 watts, with steps up the way, when you
get to a decent output, they are charging as much for a roof mounted
one.

Here is a link to the Google page, that I got after asking the question!
Google Results for Balcony Solar UK

Is this OK Gents, or are they just a waste of money?

Mike.

Now I have found several contradictions to those, correct suggestions,
companies based in the UK, who are selling, "Balcony Solar Systems",
who's customers back feed their systems.

Are you sure they are back-feeding and not a legitimately grid tied system or systems with an island mode.
Whilst the term is not strictly defined a back-feeding is generally understood to mean a setup which allows a non-compliant/dangerous connection of a source of power.

This seems to be legal, as they are being sold on the open market, here
in England.
Being sold on the open market implies that they are likely to be legal to sell but does not make them legal to use incorrectly.

Reply to Pirate Power Supplies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net