Pirate's Rant #1 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pirate's Rant #1 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I haven't posted for a while, so now I am! I will post a thread a day for 5 days if I can find anything to say, and instead of covering numerous matters in one thread I'll spread them out.
This initial post is about two things, first of which is I can't see the blue "New Posts" button at the bottom of a thread. Secondly, and more of a rant:
Kitchen fitters! Need I say more? No, life's too short. Suffice to say that while there may be some good ones, I've yet to encounter one. Why do other trades conspire to make an electrician's job difficult? A customer wanted some under-cupboard lighting but the kitchen guys, who used their own "electrician", forgot to install the under-cupboard lighting, the customer was abroad when they finished the kitychen, sent him photos and he paid them. He comes back home a few weekd later and discovers the lack of lighting, tried to contact said fitters to no avail. Ok, I said, there's a small gap behind the units so we can run cables down there...but no, we can't because the cabinets are hung on full width DIN rail stuff so no access at the top.
Some very tricky drilling created holes for wiring, and a feed from the cooker hood supply should sort this out, but then we find there's battens or noggins halfway down the back of the cupboards too. Eventually had to drill into the tops of two cabinets, right in the corner and put the wiring in tiny trunking inside with an exit hole at the bottom. OK, the trunking is discreet and hardly seen when the cupboards are full, but it should never have come to that.
The plinth lights were flickering...I don't need to tell you what a rat's nest I found under there, I'm sure many of you will have seen the sort of mess I mean. As further evidence of the skill of these fitters, they had used folded-up bits of cardboard to level the units at the floor...no plastic shims, wedges or packers, just bits of smoke packets.
Rant over.

Ill take your kitchen fitters, and raise you "Roofers"

Ive had a local company at my own house trying to trace a leak from an extension that was built some years ago.
Theyve managed to crack god knows how many tiles... left screws, nails, broken tiles all over my driveway... and a load of smoke butts.

It was supposed to take just a few days... but with their standing around, waiting for materials.... going up to the shops 2 or 3 times a day... leaving early.... they finished yesterday... I say finished... theyre coming back next week to replace even more tiles that they cracked.

So my christmas lights this year wont be as big as usual... as theyres no way im climbing out a window and walking on this new roof.

My last rewire had a new kitchen at same time. I could write a seriously long rant but in summary
-Plan and KF said no under cab lighting one side of hob, I put a cable in anyway, customer later wants it and my elation at being prepared falls flat when I find he's managed to drill through the cable fixing the wall cupboards, which are all further along the wall to where he'd marked them
-I'd first fixed the point for extractor where he'd marked it, he forgot to take into account plastering and a filler piece, so I end up moving it over, mark the wall showing the cable route, and then he manged to drill exactly on my red line and got that cable too when fitting the bracket for the chimney.
-the gas hob requiring ignition only turned into a 5 ring induction hob with no consultation, so I turn up to connect oven and hob and get a nice surprise. Luckily I'd ran in a 10mm so pinched that circuit for the hob and could re-work the 2.5mm intended for the ignition to supply the plug in oven on a radial circuit.
-he told the plasterers to plaster over a double socket that I'd first fixed leaving me to try and find it again from photos.

I hate kitchens!

Oh don't get me started on kitchen fitters... Bought our new place and as none of the lights or switches had CPC (not an issue in itself, but the back boxes were original wooden and I might fancy chrome switches in the future) I decided to pull some new cable in. Got to the kitchen and had a look... cable to the lights and most of the cable in the room is plastered directly into the wall... no chance of pulling new in, going to have to wait a couple of years until we re-fit the kitchen to get that sorted.

On the plus side, I might fit it myself so likely on the kitchenfittersforums.net there will be a post about bloody electricians using actual spirit levels to fit the cabinets - how dare they! How are we supposed to bodge anything if it's all square and level!!

Haha! Just noticed that someone edited my original post!
I didn't realise that a slang name for a cigarette was verboten:eek:

What about a smoke?

I tried it and it obviously don't like my cig language.

Last edited:
Afore mentioned roofers had a long blue flexed extension reel… like the ones from Homebase or Argos… 10A max usually…. With a big grinder/ cutter on the end for shaping the tiles in situ

All 230V…. And they never asked if my outside socket was rcd protected.

Reply to Pirate's Rant #1 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net