Please help! 3 phase question. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Please help! 3 phase question. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

roy

Hi, Firstly i will point out im not a sparky. We are looking to lease an industrial unit to run 3 phase equipment. The lanlord says it has 3 phase. There looks to be 3 phase, L1,L2,L3 wires are connected into a box. There is then only a single phase meter attached, and only single phase sockets.

What would i need an electrician to do to put 3 phase sockets in the unit? so we can run 3 phase equipment as well as the single phase sockets? Any ideas how much this would cost to install?

Many Thanks

Is the meter a landlord owned meter or a electric supply meter from the incomming electric supply, are you sure its a single phase meter and not a 3 phase meter.
It is possible the supply is three phase but the previous teneants only needed single phase if this is the case the may have had the 3ph meter replaced for the 1ph meter you have seen, if this is the case then you need to get in touch with the electrical supplier to change it back then an electrician to fit a 3ph board with what ever circuits you require.
As for price well its impossible to say as every job is different you havent given much info and its a site visit needed to establish a cost.
If it is truely a single phase meter then the landlord is slightly misleading you as the electric supplier needs to be involved to upgrade to three phase. although this part shouldnt be too costly if the supply is already 3ph.

The meter says single phase meter on the front. It is an electric supply meter, i believe. The unit is only 500sqft and would need 5 outputs. Is this a common job?

Roy

If the incomming supply before the meter has 3 cutout fuses then it will be a straight forward meter change from the energy supplier, then hopefully you have a 3ph board fitted and waiting to connect up to new meter from here your electrician will then do the work you require, the request sounds common and is usually straight forward but you may have to have equipotential bonding wired or upgraded as the energy supplier may refuse to connect otherwise unless its up to reg's already.

When I did the initial wiring in industrail units a good few years ago the spec was for a three phase cutout supplying a single phase meter for a couple of lights and a 13A socket, I think this is the minimum for letting. The tennant was reponsible for the rest of the fit out to suit themselves. The three phase cutout was fitted as it was assumed that it may be needed and therefore save on trenches and disruption in the area surrounding the units

I live in London and need a 3 phase supply to my home. Can anybody let me know who i get to install 3 phase please, i have been quoted a small fortune from UK Power Networks and was hoping there would be a lloyds accredited contractor out there that could assist at a better rate. Thanks for your assistance. Geoff

I live in London and need a 3 phase supply to my home. Can anybody let me know who i get to install 3 phase please, i have been quoted a small fortune from UK Power Networks and was hoping there would be a lloyds accredited contractor out there that could assist at a better rate. Thanks for your assistance. Geoff

Hi Truly,
you would be better off starting a new thread with this question.
Paul

Thats better

Hi can you tell me why you need a three phase supply

Reply to Please help! 3 phase question. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net