Pond Electrics with possible lighting on island?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pond Electrics with possible lighting on island?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joe S

-
Reaction score
I have a customer who is digging a rather large pond (approx 200.000 gallons) where he is constructing a bridge and an island. Around the pond is some perimeter lighting and he has mentioned a light or socket on the island. This is getting a little close for comfort for me but am unsure which regs would cover this application well enough. It's not a swimming pool or hot tub but does come close.

Thanks in advance.

If there's no scantily clad people likely to be paddling or swimming in the pond then I'd just treat it as a normal location and just stick to suitably IP rated components for the environment they're in.

If there's no scantily clad people likely to be paddling or swimming in the pond then I'd just treat it as a normal location and just stick to suitably IP rated components for the environment they're in.

Thats what I was thinking but he mentioned getting in the water summertime due to having a good filtration system being installed.

if he's likely to be getting in it, treat it as a swimming pool location, or get someone else to electrocute him.

I suggest people have a read of 702.11 before they carried away!

It's an outdoor pond FFS, run a suitable cable from shore to island, job done.

200,000 gallons...
A quick calculation gives a 24 metre diameter and 2 metres deep circular pond.
I could almost fit my house in there.
How the other half live!!!

An ex girlfriends house vanished in to a sink hole (they are called shake holes, usually found in limestone areas). Can’t say I was sorry.

OK I worked in quarrying but it was nothing to do with me.

Its a pond, if the idiot wants to get in then as long as you have all the right things even as a pond he's more likely to get weils disease....

As advised above, treat the installation as a pond, not a swimming pool. More fool him if he thinks a good filtration system is going to be good enough for human habitation in a standing water environment!

I'd be more concerned about what method, cable and accessories are going to be used on this island and whether or not that island is eventually going to sink into the pond over time!! lol!!

Reply to Pond Electrics with possible lighting on island?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net