Power One 10kW G83/1 and G59 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power One 10kW G83/1 and G59 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
We are due to install a 10kW Power One inverter next week. It is both G83/1 and G59 compliant but not G83/2. With this being passed the 28/2/14 cut off, whats the options? As i remember on these inverters you can choose either G83 or G59. So if we choose G59 option are we ok?

Dont want any expensive mistakes!!!

Thanks - look forward to your replies.

There isn't a G83/2 firmware upgrade to the PVI-10.0-TL-OUTD 3phase unit as yet, and as far as I am aware, it is only currently approved to G59/2. The max AC current output per phase is 16.6A.

I know that there is a G83/1 type-test certificate for the PVI-10.0 and PVI-12.5 units but I believe (and I am currently checking this with P1) that this may be restricted to the UK-specific models only (PVI-10.0-OUTD-UK for example).

Will update shorty

So I spoke to the DNO (SSE) to check what the situation is here. They couldn't tell me if we could install this under the G59 setting on the inverter. If they can't, who can?? amazing!

Only SMA 10kW's seem to have a G83/2 cert so far so well done to them for getting sorted for 1st March. However I dont think the extra cost is of any benefit to our customer so we will have to wait until the G83/2 certificated 3 phase inverters filter through.

I spoke to Power One about this the other week as I have a similar situation to you.

They are now not bothering to get the 10KW inverter G83/2 certified. Apparently it will be G59/3 compliant sometime in June which will mean it automatically meets the G83/2 requirements (so I am told).

Indeed, I discovered this a few weeks ago, frustratingly, but we've worked around it for applicable projects. I did hear that the G59/3 testing was happening now so expected it to be complete sooner than June tbh but we'll see I guess. The DNOs "should" accept it for <16A/phase but I'd expect a little initial "misunderstanding".....

I have been looking for an alternative other than SMA and I can only find Samil 10KWp so far which appears to be G83/2 and fits the panel configuration. The issue for me is that the panels are already strung 4 x 12 235w panasonic so can't use Fronius for example as the strings don't work.

Sibert do you have any suggestions?

Have a look at the Eltek/Platinum 9000TL 3R or 11000TL 3R units - single tracker though, and I'm not sure that the 4 parallel strings will exceed the max DC current input rating, or that the 12 panels will bring enough DC voltage - I'd need to check the panel/inverter specs to be sure. The SMA option is entirely viable, but expensive. 3pcs 1ph Eltek HE-t units would have worked but not with 4 strings already in place....you've got a tricky one there! Again, depending on the array details, and panel specs, the new P1. 8.5 Trio may be an option - 2 strings per tracker but you might be a tad high on the max DC/PV side

Thanks for that I'll have a butchers at the Eltek options. I've just run the Power One Tri 8.5 options through their string sizer and it works with a bit of power clipping.

Reply to Power One 10kW G83/1 and G59 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net