Power Supply?- Installing 12v Dowlights (MR16) in Parallel | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Power Supply?- Installing 12v Dowlights (MR16) in Parallel in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shocksmith222

Just a quick one to get a feel for what other sparks are doing when installing 12v downlights into kitchens etc (in existing properties, not newbuild).
I have a customer who wants me to install their new (9x) downlights at the cheapest price (no suprise) so as this has an impact on the amount of work I am going to do I just thought I would see what others are doing...

Would you prefer to utilise:
1) Taking power from an existing downstairs lighting circuit? (assumes that the demand for total power (Watts) over that entire circuit will not exceed the existing 6AMP MCB/1.5T&E Cable.)
OR
2) Running a new CU feed (circuit) with its own MCB solely for the downlights?

Thanks for views/feedback.

what are the downlights , are they extra or replacing existing fittings? if replacing, say an existing ceiling fitting, i would come off the existing. checking as you say, total load on the circuit

Last edited:
An average 3 bed house if they have a split lighting system of upstairs/downstairs, the downstairs circuit works out on average about 6 lights. If you take that as your 100watt per unit then your talking about just over 2 amps without the 66% diversity.. If your MCB is just 5amps then you still have quite a bit to play with. Unless your fitting a vast amount then come of the exisiting rose.

Reply to Power Supply?- Installing 12v Dowlights (MR16) in Parallel in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back