power supply to oven and hob | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss power supply to oven and hob in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gpz900jim

I need to put a power supply to an electric oven and an electric hob in a domestic kitchen (separate items, hob is located above the oven). I have done the calculations, and decided to run the supply in 10mm t and e. My questions are 1, can both appliances be wired through a single 45a wall switch in the kitchen given that they are separate appliances? and 2 what method should be used to tee off the single 10mm cable to the 2 appliances ? Thanks

Tee the two appliances from your cooker outlet plate. What size of load is on the oven and bob for you to resort to 10mm or is it a long run?

yes its a very long run to the kitchen from the cu. it wasnt the size of the cable that worried me, it was the fact that these 2 appliances are separate items, and i thought that all fixed appliances needed an exclusive means of isolation. and also, im a bit iffy about teeing off a cable of this size, I want to get it right.

yes its a very long run to the kitchen from the cu. it wasnt the size of the cable that worried me, it was the fact that these 2 appliances are separate items, and i thought that all fixed appliances needed an exclusive means of isolation. and also, im a bit iffy about teeing off a cable of this size, I want to get it right.

You are right in saying that fixed appliance lead a local means of isolation but 10mm for 2 separate appliance? Can you not run it in a ring?

You are prmitted to isolate both appliances off the same local isolator as long as they are within close proximity ( i cant recall the distance without checking)
The both items can be wired to the cooker control on seperate supply cable,then downsizing of a fuse or individual isolation at the outlets

If you are going to work to the on site guide then you can feed two cooker units from one switch providing that the switch is not 2 meters from either appliance, but it does advise you to note regulation 536.2 where you need to install as per the manufacters instruction, so if that says a seperate circuit for an appliance then that is what you need to do.

If you 10mm^ cable is going into the main CCU then as long as you keep the connection cable from the switch to the oven and hob below 3 metres and installed against damage by fault conditions and fire (Regulation 434.2.1) then you can reduce the size of the cables CSA to fit the load of the units.

You are right in saying that fixed appliance lead a local means of isolation but 10mm for 2 separate appliance? Can you not run it in a ring?
Thanks for the info, just wondering what was meant by running it in a ring, are you saying that a ring can be used in a situation like this, instead of a conventional radial circuit?

we do something simular in rotherham we go from the 45A isolator it a cooker outlet to a single socket both on a gate box
thats if it is a single oven
have done this for years

Reply to power supply to oven and hob in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net