Pre-terminated MC4 cable assemblies? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Pre-terminated MC4 cable assemblies? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pre-terminated cable assys?

• Pre-terminated

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Self-terminated

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just keen on gauging market opinion really - do you prefer to work with pre-terminated lengths of 4mm2 PV wire, typically fitted with MC4 male and female connectors. Or do you prefer to terminate your cables in-situe by hand?

We offer loose MC4 connectors (male and female) but also provide some of our clients with pre-terminated cable assemblies (extension cables and gender changers - from MC3 to MC4 etc). At the moment we are offering 5m extension cables pre-terminated with a male and female MC4 compatible connector (TUV approved, IP67, 30A) at a promotional price of £6ea if anyone has any interest/requirements. Other lengths and configurations are available upon request.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Thanks daytona600, SMA using Sunclix connectors now has certainly increased the presence of Sunclix in the industry although I think MC4 are still the most dominant as they are what the module manufacturers primarily use still, could be wrong though. The sunclix are not cheap either but I guess they need to recoup their complex design costs somehow....

sunclix saves a fortune on installation costs on modules/inverters
these are not made by sma , but phoenix contact

even a tripower 3phase inverter can be connected in minutes
and sunclix can be re-used/re-terminated again in seconds without expensive crimping tools
i sell sunclix connectors cheaper than a lot of suppliers on MC4s
also have over 50,000 MC4s in stock

This is really interesting.We have been asked by a growing number of people to produce custom cable assemblies for the solar market ... All terminated.I did not realise there was a market of non-terminated cable assemblies.Does it depend on the installation?If you were installing a system in a tricky location with lots of bends, tight gaps to pass the cable through etc then it would be eaiser to terminate when the cable is in place.If, on the other hand you are working on an install with a simple layout (or identical multi site installs) then working with a pre made custom cable harness is the way to go?

I think the best thing to do is invest in a decent crimping tool rather than pre-terminated ends. Your relying on the termination that someone else has done to be of good quality.

If you do it yourself you know its right! The last thing you want is for the DC current to arc and the coupler to melt...

The advantage of pre-terminated, it dumbs down the job and speeds up the installs. Allows the sales fed companies to reduce their install time. Less opportunity for errors and mistakes.

Not saying its right or wrong, just turns install into a process.

Don't snip MC4s or 3s from a modules connection to replace them with Sunclix as it will invalidate the warranty.

SMA only license the SunClix connectors from another company and I believe this license runs out next year. This should potentially open up the connector to the whole industry, which would be nice!

Sunclix aren't MC4's if you look closely they're 90 degrees offset, Sunclix is not compatible with MC4.

sunclix was designed for sma inverters as tooless solution IP68 40amps 1.1kvdc
not compatiblle with multicontact MC4 system but you don,t need a expensive crimping tool
ideal for field wiring or cut off and replace mc4 to fit a sunny boy
have 1000s in stock if required send a PM all pv connectors in stock

Reply to Pre-terminated MC4 cable assemblies? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net