proof if any was needed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss proof if any was needed in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

A tragic story, having recently lost my own son I can fully sympathise with the mother. Could have been easily avoided as well.

I find it a bit odd that there was enough cable left on the plug to hold neutral in one hand and live in the other.

think perhaps he disconnected at the oven as the cable was too short , thus leaving unprotected tails out of the cable end.

its been ongoing FAI from what has ben said earlier the toddler put plug in and touched it dont know that it was with both hands

From the article: Mr Madden had concluded that little Liam had "grasped the bare wires of the live conductor in one hand and the bare wires of the neutral conductor in the other".

Either way, completely negligent to leave something like that plug around.

A tragic story for sure but how many times have you worked in a customers house and had a toddler looking over your shoulder interested in what you are doing? It sounds as though this guy was working in the kitchen and the plug and flex were plugged in by the child in his toy room. At some point it was moved from one room to another (by the child?) there is no indication whether the handyman was still at the property. The point is did the child pick up the flex that had been just disgarded and run off with it, if that is the case then the handyman was probably not even aware that it had gone. What if a child picked up your stanley knife and cut himself would that be neglegent on your part or the parents for not keeping the child away from the work area. Should we use barriers and warnng tape to protect the public from our work??????
I have now climbed off my soap box for the morning

On another Thread on here about how do you fault find I posted tongue in cheek about just this, having toddlers or children following you about as you work, and your so right. Many years ago at my brothers house I was up in the loft working, and next thing I knew my 3 or 4 yr old nephew was standing next to me, he climbed up the steps and walked across the loft, and still today I don't know how he managed not to go through the ceiling and it makes your blood run cold.

As you say Mechelec the handyman may have just cut off the flex and never even know the toddler took it, it can happen so quick, but as I said earlier, it is such a tradgedy, and that guy will live with it everyday for the rest of his life, be it a pure accident or mistake.

Reply to proof if any was needed in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net