Providing certs, help clearing this up | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Providing certs, help clearing this up in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

swainy101

I work for a small fire alarm company during the week but I get quite a bit of foreigner work for myself on the weekends, some people ask for a cert and signing off when they call me but I automatically turn the work down as I have been told in the past that i cannot sign off work, I am a qualified electrician and I have got my 17th edition but what do I need to sign off a domestic install?

You say you're doing it as weekend foreigners so the thing with notifying work is it leaves you with a paper trail.

So if they are true foreigners, as in cash in hand, then there's always a chance, very slight of getting caught out.

Maybe you read my thread wrong, I started this thread to see what I needed to sign off an installation as I have heard different things

There is a difference between issuing an electrical certificate and self certification to conform to the building regs. If you are competent/qualified you are already able to issue an electrical certificate to conform to BS7671. To satisfy the building regs on notifiable work without paying them a notification fee you will have to join one of the self certification schemes, NICIEC NAPPIT ELECSA etc . This normally costs around £400 plus insurance ans books , calibration of instruments and an annual inspection to see if you are still up to standard (they want more money) To join you pay your dosh , they come and assess you , make sure you got all the books etc -and away you go. This is what is misnomer'd as Part P qualified.

Last edited:
Maybe you read my thread wrong, I started this thread to see what I needed to sign off an installation as I have heard different things

What ruston said really. If you have carried out non-notifiable work as a "competent person", then you can test and issue certificates for that work. If you are carrying out notifiable work, such as supplies to outbuildings, CU changes, new circuits back to the CU, extensions to kitchen/bathroom wiring, etc, then you either notify LBC in advance or pay up and join a scheme.

We keep answering these questions, when really the search facility is your friend here!

Just been reading this post and it looks like some have gotten the wrong end of the stick

Looks like swainy has been doing non notifiable work but has been asked to do notifiable work which he has turned down.

You need to join Napit, NICEIC, ECA, BSI. All cost anything from £600 plus per year (BSI being the most expensive)

The other option is, is your fire alarm company Part P registered with any of the above - if they are ask if you can use that - they might say no or yes (at a fee)

Other option is to go to your LABC and sign it off that way - costs between £60 and £200 depending on your authority

Just been reading this post and it looks like some have gotten the wrong end of the stick

Looks like swainy has been doing non notifiable work but has been asked to do notifiable work which he has turned down.

You need to join Napit, NICEIC, ECA, BSI. All cost anything from £600 plus per year (BSI being the most expensive)

The other option is, is your fire alarm company Part P registered with any of the above - if they are ask if you can use that - they might say no or yes (at a fee)

Other option is to go to your LABC and sign it off that way - costs between £60 and £200 depending on your authority

Post 4 says he's been doing kitchen work which IMHO are notifiable.

Can never understand why landlords ever want work doing for cash in hand. Surely if they are a reputable landlord or agent, they are declaring all their rental income so are surely wanting to offset any works against this each year.

Or am I in cuckoo land?

Can never understand why landlords ever want work doing for cash in hand. Surely if they are a reputable landlord or agent, they are declaring all their rental income so are surely wanting to offset any works against this each year.

Or am I in cuckoo land?

Yes the decent ones do , common to go to a job that has been started and the spark etc has disappeared.
You see them on the telly == my budget for this is .....................

Reply to Providing certs, help clearing this up in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net