pump for a water well | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss pump for a water well in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pushrod

just a bit of idle curiousity - was on holiday in a property with a deep water well and someone had put a rather large 50 micro farad capacitor across its controlling switch, it was just dangling there on the outside of the on off control. Was that for power factor correction? Do motors not have the correction capacitors built in to them? I thought the capacitor would have been physically close to the motor if it was for pf purpose. Any light shed on my ignorance greatly appreciated.
cheers.

single phase pumps almost always have a capacitor on them to create an artificial 2nd phase, so that the motor will start. some motors then switch this cap out by centrifugal switch, others carry on running using the cap

It is a single phase supply but aren't the capacitors for producing a second out of phase field to start the motor supposed to be physically close to the motor, this one must have been 40M away, plus it was as big as a small fist. The box lying around for the pump (if it was the one down the well) was only 250Watt. All seemed a bit odd to me :confused:

Reply to pump for a water well in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
There is nothing inherently wrong with this part of the layout. There is another option that you may want to consider. Those supply conductors...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks again for sparing your time to explain.. greatly appreciated..
Replies
Views
nevermind... someone clued me into a genius idea that i feel like an idiot for overlooking.. I had previous looked at water pressure regulators...
Replies
Views
I hear many views of people who believe that DPF's and CDPF's fitted to their vehicles are a problem and many people resort to removing them, or...
Replies
Views
M
cheers tony The cable fault finding was only part of the fun as it burnt out the bms interface tyco jelnet as well just for good measure We had...
Replies
Views
maddfridge
M

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks