Purchase advice needed for MFT | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Purchase advice needed for MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just looking at spending on a new MFT and was looking at the higher end MEGGER 1730 but a few years back on here there were a lot of posts citing major flaws with the tester.

Has anybody bought one recently and been more pleased with it straight out the box ?
I don't want to invest near a grand on something so important but not functional & reliable.

personally, i'd go for a 1552/3. does everything you need apart from phase rotation , and a fraction of the cost.

Good shout Tel, used to use a 1553 for work all the time in past job but thought they were probably too far aged now ? Other than phase rotation which I may need I guess, do you use earth electrode test often? As I assume I would be worth having that function if need to fit an earth rod during a new build or rewire etc.. If TT or site temp supply ?

Good shout Tel, used to use a 1553 for work all the time in past job but thought they were probably too far aged now ? Other than phase rotation which I may need I guess, do you use earth electrode test often? As I assume I would be worth having that function if need to fit an earth rod during a new build or rewire etc.. If TT or site temp supply ?

i'd be careful banging rods in in jersey. if you use eng54's 50ft. jobbies, you might be in danger of sinking the island. :49:

;-)� prob need to go 50ft Telectrix & multiples all paralleled together as between the granite & dry soil although sometimes clay it's very tricky getting a decent value. I've seen ( not me ) people getting a JCB to roll flat old hot water cylinders to use as an earth due to the footprint ! Also guy I worked with 2 days tested one got silly reading tried 2nd rod then just had foreman chuck a bucket of water on the ground and took the reading again �� great until the sun came out ! and on s site temp. Grim work

Last edited:
I have been very pleased with my 1710. I was expecting problems in the cold weather when I grab it cold from the van such as condensation or a slow screen. But it has been fine. Easy to use even with gloved hands. The extra features on the higher end models such as ramp test feature would be useful though. Only problem I had was in larger premises where I have apparent induced voltage and need to use an analogue meter/tester to work out what is going on. But I suspect all the new MFT would have problems in this situation anyway. Reminds me I must look for an old decent analogue tester on ebay.

Reply to Purchase advice needed for MFT in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net