QQ - Electric Oven trips MCB and RCD | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss QQ - Electric Oven trips MCB and RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

djp

Hi All, sorry for the boring question you must get all the time but just want to sense check myself before I call in a sparky..

As subject... 13A fitted oven tripped MCB so I put in an RCD as I was messing around which now protects the fuse but both get tripped the moment we switch it on

Is it the Element or is there anything else I can check so I am informed?

Thanks!!

Dan

If its the MCB tripping you have a dead short or overload.. However for both to trip as same time sounds like a dead short. With the right test gear this can be confirmed. just bite the bullet and call a sparky.

Hi All, sorry for the boring question you must get all the time but just want to sense check myself before I call in a sparky..

As subject... 13A fitted oven tripped MCB so I put in an RCD as I was messing around which now protects the fuse but both get tripped the moment we switch it on

Is it the Element or is there anything else I can check so I am informed?

Thanks!!

Dan

Messing around ?..Fitting RCD's and other PD's is job for a professional electrician ! Make that call before you end up injured..or worse
J

Messing around ?..Fitting RCD's and other PD's is job for a professional electrician ! Make that call before you end up injured..or worse
J

It's a plug in RCD - I'm just doing usual user testing, not a fool

When was the oven fitted and by whom? If it's new then it's under warranty.
Was it fitted to an existing circuit or has a new one been installed specifically for it?

Not new .. It's a 13A plug in oven on the same circuit as all the household sockets

Does it also trip the 13a plug top fuse?

Without the plug in RCD in burns the plug fuse yeah

If it hasn't been used for a while the elements can gather moisture within the insulation and earth leakage occours. If you are competent to remove and re-fit the elements, then I would recommend removing them and sticking them in another (working) oven for half an hour or so to disipate any moisture. ;)

It's a plug in RCD - I'm just doing usual user testing, not a fool

So the plug top fuse was blowing, the mcb was blowing,so you put in a plug in RCD so what was that going to do ?
its obvious isn't it ? If you removed the appliance from the socket the mcb wouldn't trip would it ?..So where's the problem ??...yep your no fool.......

Not new .. It's a 13A plug in oven on the same circuit as all the household sockets

Without the plug in RCD in burns the plug fuse yeah

Good luck
j

The moment I turn the only dial to the 'defrost' setting which switches on the fan/light and assume the element to some degree, we'd had it up as high as it goes today (240) so maybe it is a bit old and didn't like that

It was on at the time, on the same circuit - We had put another kitchen appliance on but hours earlier, removed that and the rest before trying again and the same

Reply to QQ - Electric Oven trips MCB and RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net