qualifications | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss qualifications in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky major

hi my names Sparky major long time reader first time poster......anyway i am currently still an apprentice and a have past my 2330 and now in my last year. I just want to know does my 2330 allow me to do any work ? Your advice would be much appreciated

hi my names Sparky major long time reader first time poster......anyway i am currently still an apprentice and a have past my 2330 and now in my last year. I just want to know does my 2330 allow me to do any work ? Your advice would be much appreciated
The 2330 will show to a propective employer that you have gained underpinning knowledge. It should help you get work as a mate as well - IF you can find an employer to take you on that is. But you've still got some way to go yet fella.

Is that 2330 Level 2 or 3 or both??? The C&G is a great technical certificate but unfortunately hasn't given you any real practical experience (on site etc). As soon as you find work as a mate/labourer/apprentice, you will need to enrol on a NVQ Level 3 which is a portfolio based qualification. Most people can finish these off within a year to 18 months and once you have this combined with the 2330 you can get graded as an 'Electrician' with the JIB.

Good luck mate and I hope you enjoy your future career as an electrician.

Are you in your last year of 2330 level 3? Anyway, I believe your question is can you do electrical work off your own back? It goes down to a few things. Firstly would you class yourself has a competent person? Able to take on work and carry it out to all of the current regs. Test your work and certificate it? If anything goes wrong can you defend yourself in court? This may sound harsh but its reality I'm afraid. I'm sure your keen to do some small jobs or you've been offered to do a little bit here or there but be very careful my friend. At least take out PLI and only take on what you know you can do 100% perfectly. This was the same question I asked 10 years ago and its harder now than back then. Post your quals and the things you have in mind to be doing and we will help as much as we can.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, wouldn't he need to enroll on a competent persons scheme (NAPIT, Elecsa or NICEIC) to do work off his own back or at the very least inform the council before starting any work and paying them to inspect?

Hi Paul, wouldn't he need to enroll on a competent persons scheme (NAPIT, Elecsa or NICEIC) to do work off his own back or at the very least inform the council before starting any work and paying them to inspect?

Yes mate. That's why I asked if he is going to do like for like work (not notifiable) or new installs/up grades. It will get very expensive if your doing extentions to circuits or new circuits. Erm, I can feel a part p question coming next?

hi my names Sparky major long time reader first time poster......anyway i am currently still an apprentice and a have past my 2330 and now in my last year

Is that your last year has an apprentice or last year of 2330? Have you got your 17th ed? Give us a bit more detail so we can help you to your next stage. Anyone without qualifications can set up and start their own biz long as they have correct PLI and can cert the work or get LABC to do it for them. It's a mine field mate, which direction do you want to go?

a lot of firms tend to advertise for 17th edition electrician, so add that to your current quals and you could find a job as a spark but experience counts so depending on this key issue will determine wether
A. you can get that job
B. you can keep it once you got it.

Reply to qualifications in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net