qualifying as a domestic installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss qualifying as a domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robfvv

Hi,
I just registered with your forum.
I currently work in the City, in finance. But the work is no longer very satisfying, and there has always been this “wanting to work for myself as an domestic installer (electrician)”.
Clearly there are many hurdles to this, but the first one is perhaps how to get qualified.
I am well educated, but probably not in the right field, wanting to qualifying as an electrician...
I am a university graduate, with a master degree in mechanical engineering obtained in the late 1980s. That was a lot of theory, also in electricity. Nothing about, say, re-wiring a house. (I worked as an engineer for about 10 years before I moved to the City)
I surfed the web and found a variety of courses in all kinds of areas of electrical work; all training companies are eager to get me to join. They don’t seem very independent to me.
My question is: What is necessary to become a qualified electrician; and can I work for myself as domestic installer after perhaps initially work for a firm. Is City & Guild a good place to start? Or perhaps elsewhere you can suggest?
Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob,

welcome, I have just qualified as an electrician, I only want to do domestic,
I have been in IT for last 20 +years, local government oficer.

I studied part time over last 3 years,
took C & G 2330 L2 ans L3, 2392 Level 2 (testing and inspecting) and 2382 (17th edition)

I am going out on my own part time, Building Control are happy with the qualifications, building up a few jobs and hope to get Part P redistered.

Hope this helps

:)

Hi to become a Domestic Installer you need to take the EAL VRQ which is all about the Building Regs, then the C & G 2382. Having completed these you need to register with a body like the NICEIC to be fully covered for the Part P.

If you live near Dartford pop into the Ableskills centre no appoitment necessary and they will show you around and let you know what to expect without parting with any money. If you google the name that will give you the website.

Chris

The main drawback you're going to encounter is lack of experience. A lot of the time you need to "adapt and overcome". Life is never the same as on a college bench. If you can get a start once you're qualified I would recommend doing a year with a housebashing company. Newbuilds are pretty straightforward but when it comes to rewires you can learn a lot from others who are a bit more experienced!

do the 2330 l2 and l3 then the 2382 and the 2392 (if you can find someone that runs the course) as for experience as eggster says try and get a start with someone failing that offer your services to friends and family (electrical that is) starting off with light fittings,sockets and switches.offer to help local electricians for a few days at a time.anything to get yourself familiar with the tools and installations.

Hi Rob,

I totally agree with all of the comments, college is the best way.

If you live East of London or in Essex, Chelmsford College is one of the only places to offer Saturday courses for 2330 and 2382.

The way the work is at the moment, keep your job whilst you are training.

Also on the Saturday courses, the age of the students is much older and you can find very useful contacts for work.

Good luck

Dave

Hi,

I have wanted to be a domestic installer for a while but now i have decided to do something about it.
The problem is I have no idea where to start. I currently have no experience in electrics and basically need to start at the very basics.

What is the best way to go about this? I have been looking at part time courses in local colleges but they are designed for experienced electricians. And I accept I need to start at the ground level.
I have a couple of contacts who might let me voluntarily work with them on weekends and evenings.
Which books would be useful and are recommended for basics in electronics?

I am currently in a full time job as an IT programmer. I am a university Graduate with a degree in Computing & CAD (totally unrelated to electronics L)
At the end of it all I would just like to do the odd job on weekends and basically just be confident enough to do work on my own house and friends and family etc.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Ray

is you can see in the thread above people are saying take a 2330 level 2 and 3 option then 17 and 2392 but i think next year there changing the courses to include an nvq into 2330 so you will have to be working to get on the course i guess in the electrical industry

Reply to qualifying as a domestic installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net