Question about external power | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Question about external power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daren Bristow

Hi,

Have just moved into a new house (rented) and can see a power cable running out to a workshop that the landlord uses for his businesss. My question is should the mains cable that is run out to this worksop not be buried and is it likley to be metered in the workshop or is it likley that he is using our power for his work?

thanks for advice.

I would suggest you ask the landlord about the situation. He will know more than anyone else. As regards the cable, more details needed, size?, type?, fixtures?, protection?, etc....... who knows?

With regard to who's paying for that power I would just ask him straight out. If it's not separately metered you'll have to come to an arrangement and apportion the bill accordingly. Separate meter is better because he might be using a surprising amount of power if there's a water heater or any kind of room heaters in the workshop.

As far as the cable being buried, if it's SWA or any cable rated as UV stable for external use then it can be run on the surface but it's good practice to have it buried to prevent physical damage.

Find the fuse / MCB that feeds the cable and turn it off. You’ll soon find out what’s going on.

Good plan, thanks guys, the cable appears to be insulated but I was a bit worried as Im having a few people over for a housewarming and dont want that there as a hazard.

Am going to speak to him today, will then look at turning it off if I dont like what I hear :)

Reply to Question about external power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Another thought is to use 70mm 4C aluminium SWA with (ideally) diagonal pairs of cores paralleled to get 140mm 2C equivalent, which might be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Issue is certain sizes of cable may theoretically be okay but upon the proper testing when it’s commissioned things like a thing may not test out...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Why would you want to fuse them? The RCD should now be a type A plus it is likely you could upgrade the protective device to 20A. What protective...
Replies
Views
  • Question
if the 3 spaces with charge points are always allocated to the same 3 flats, surely the easiest way is to run the supply to the load side of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you for fast response. The reason I asked is because I had read elsewhere online: "Electric ovens have a wattage rating that tells you how...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks