RCD in series? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD in series? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Les Player

I was in discussion with electrician fitting some new electricsand he noted that there was a spur off to an external garage from the CU. Therewas an existing RCD fitted at both ends (in the CU and garage via 10m shieldedcable), which he said was not allowed- but could not offer an explanation as towhy. Any explanation here?

Interesting one that. The easy answer is that the wiring regs state that there must be discrimination between Protective devices in a cascade.

With two 30mA RCDs in series you will not be able to tell which one will go first as they will have slightly different characteristics.

I feel that this is not a problem in a domestic situation since the loss of power is not critical.
You could also say that in the case of one RCD failing the other will protect the end circuit.
I have installed series RCDs at the customers insistence despite my telling them that it was pointless.

Still he is correct it is "not allowed"

If the RCDs in question were both just normal types ie 30-500mA, in the event of a fault there would be unlikely discrimination between them, so either or both would trip which would constitute non division of installation.

In certain circumstances this would be unacceptable, if you have a copy of the regulations have a look at section 531 on RCD and 531.2.9 in particular.

Reply to RCD in series? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
ok cheers for the help lads
Replies
Views
  • Question
Cheers guys, enjoyed reading all the responses. I'm an apprentice and it was a conversation that came up at work between two electricians...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had an interesting little job this morning. Three sockets in an extension were not working and haven't worked for quite some time (years). It...
    • Winner
Replies
Views
Your kWh figures are giving you consumption averaged over each hour period, but don't give an indication of total instantaneous current. To try...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you had new circuits for sockets or have the sockets been extended from existing install, either way RCD will need upgrading to a Type A and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks