RCD problems.. | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss RCD problems.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ash_s3

Hi all

installed some downlights for a customer the other day, nice easy job (as they all start out to be)
did the usual tests, Earth loop was a high reading, checked supply and it was TT even though a lead sheathed underground supply cable.
Ze was high 290ohms, bonding to gas and water all good 10mm which was bringing the zs down a fair bit.
suggested we try and get dno to change to tn-cs or if not possible we will get a better reading on a new rod.

Heres the headscratcher..

RCD as main switch, non split load DB, although fairly new Crabtree star breaker setup.
With all loads switched off the RCD will not test, will not trip at 1x or 5x or ramp test.
Tried brand new RCD, exactly the same. Disconnected the neutral fly lead from RCD and it trips perfectly within the permitted times.
I then went through each neutral one at a time disconnecting them and testing the RCD, found that with one ring finals neutrals take out it tests fine, turns out it's not a complete ring, line is ok but high resistance on neutral end to end.

Further investigation required but couldn't figure out why this would stop the RCD from operating.

The guy that changed the DB obviously had no tester as its a right cock-up but that's another story..

All due respect Ash but how come you found out it was a TT after you started the job?
Have you checked that you have your tester on the right setting? If it's a 300mA then a 30mA test current isn't going to touch it. Believe it or not I've seen it done mate.
It's pretty good when you're watching an apprentice trying to figure it out :)

Sorry, knew it was a TT before I started, just didn't expect such a high reading.

tester is definitely set to 30mA and RCD is definitely a 30mA.

I know the circuit that's causing the fault and IR test shows that the resistance between N-CPC is 0.0M ohms

im just curious as to how a N-CPC fault can't stop the RCD from operating when it should operate in the event of a fault.

it's one of those anomalies that crop up from time to time. your tester might read 0.00Meg. but the fault might be in the order of Kohms, too low for your tester's resolution , but not low enough to trip RCD. can just inhibit it's operation.

it's one of those anomalies that crop up from time to time. your tester might read 0.00Meg. but the fault might be in the order of Kohms, too low for your tester's resolution , but not low enough to trip RCD. can just inhibit it's operation.

I agree with you telectrix but this doesn't explain why the RCD won't trip at all. It should.

Pete

i don't know why, either, but i've come across it a couple of times. once was on a dual RCD CU, where neither RCD would trip, not on the test button or x1 and x5. dissed the radial with a N fault and RCDs then tested perfectly.

Reply to RCD problems.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net