RCD query. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD query. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Hi lads,

Just spent the morning re-wiring the office lighting at work, and have encoutered non-stop nuisence tripping from the RCD.

Its a standard 100A 30mA RCD, MEM, for a MEM shield 2 board. Now i am a newbie in the grand scheme of things, but i do understand how RCD's work, and im getting a little confused as to why im throwing it out.

The circuit im working on is obviously dead, therefore there is no current passing through the phase and neutral and therefore nothing can be passing by the toroid for the detector winding to pick up on? Could the tiny voltage that us humans dormantly posses be enough for the RCD to detect as im touching the cables and stripping them etc? I havnt done a ramp test on the RCD yet to determine where it is tripping at, as my megger is at home today.

Or have i just stood against the wall to be shot by totally over looking something very straight forward?

Yes i know i should isolate the entire board, but the way this mornings gone its spent 80% of it in isolation anyway. Problem is the director is having a fuss because when the board goes down we lose comms so hes usually mid conversation with the president or something and he gets cut off....but he doesnt deem this particualr job important enough to shut down his whole office, so im now going to have to come back and do it in my own time on the weekend or in the dark after work, which im not paid to do, such is life however.

Right i see, obviously i dont know enough about RCD's as i need to. So even on a non live circuit the toroid will still pick up a disturbance down the E & N

think of how the RCD works. inbalance between current in line and neutral. there is zero current in the line, as you have isolated at the MCB. by shorting N/E you are allowing a current to flow in the neutral. hence inbalance> trip.

think of how the RCD works. inbalance between current in line and neutral. there is zero current in the line, as you have isolated at the MCB. by shorting N/E you are allowing a current to flow in the neutral. hence inbalance> trip.

[FONT=&quot]spot on, disconnect the N & CPC, the problem will disappear. [/FONT]

Reply to RCD query. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net