RCD testing | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all. Can anyone inform me on what the latest guidance on the frequency of RCD testing is? I test my RCD's annually and record the x1/2, x1 and x5 trip and 0-180degrees annually, and replace failures. I also carry out a functional test whilst I'm doing this, and then a further functional test 6 months later. The Distribution boards were installed in 2013 (17th edition) Is this frequency of testing sufficient?

Hello all. Can anyone inform me on what the latest guidance on the frequency of RCD testing is? I test my RCD's annually and record the x1/2, x1 and x5 trip and 0-180degrees annually, and replace failures. I also carry out a functional test whilst I'm doing this, and then a further functional test 6 months later. The Distribution boards were installed in 2013 (17th edition) Is this frequency of testing sufficient?
Functionally every 6 months.

There is no longer a requirement to perform a test using a test current equal to or higher than five times the rated residual current.

Last edited:
In 2017 the boards should have been labelled with an RCD Test Notice indicating a quarterly test interval for the functional test. Recent 18th edition has increased this functional test to 6 monthly or bi-annually test intervals.
For certification, the instrument based test is now a single 1x test for 18th but other tests may be carried out too(for installers benefit). This should be tested at installation, any subsequent work on the circuit/installation thereafter and then at the recommended interval for a periodic inspection (ie 5 or 10 years etc).
Failure of the functional test should require further investigation by a qualified electrician who may then carry out further tests .5x, 1x, 5x, Ramp etc to evaluate the RCD.

A 3months interval to 6months interval is a 'decrease'?
If you look at it as the number of tests required in a year. An RCD test every 3 months is 4. An RCD test every 6 months is 2.
So, a decrease in occurrence of the test.

Cant believe its caused so much debate and always more than one way of looking at things!

In 'Extending' the test interval from 3 to 6 months is an 'increase'
quarterly test interval for the functional test. Recent 18th edition has increased this functional test to 6 monthly or bi-annually test intervals.

in the 'test interval' which is what I was referring to in my post#3.

Its obvious that longer intervals will result in fewer tests

Cant believe its caused so much debate and always more than one way of looking at things!

In 'Extending' the test interval from 3 to 6 months is an 'increase'

in the 'test interval' which is what I was referring to in my post#3.

Its obvious that longer intervals will result in fewer tests
The time interval between tests has increased. the regularity has decreased. Einstein understood these things.

Reply to RCD testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net