RCD Tripping Advice needed. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD Tripping Advice needed. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mathew Acreman

Hi all,

My sister has recently moved into a new property and is having problems with the RCD tripping (Centre one in below photo) when certain kitchen appliances are running, commonly the washing machine and dishwasher. It can also trip if I unplug the dishwasher whilst the washing machine is running. Does anyone know what is likely to be causing this?

[ElectriciansForums.net] RCD Tripping Advice needed.

Many Thanks
Mat

could be earth leakage on either or both appliances. also could be some leakage on other parts of the installation and the appliances are taking the RCD above the trip threshold. a ramp test on the RCD is the 1st thing i'd go for, followed by checking for leakage with an earth leakage clamp meter.

i'd say 90% of RCD trippings is due to faulty appliances but before narrowing it down to that you need to get the RCD ramp tested to see what mA its tripping at, 20+ and the RCD should be fine in which case one of the appliances has high earth leakage.

Tripping when unplugging - could be a faulty socket?

Have you got a long extension lead, so you could plug the machines into another socket? This wouldn't necessarily be conclusive though.

Are you a sparky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of your advice guys. Much appreciated. Murdoch, No, I'm not a sparky but i have a very basic understanding through my job as a touring sound engineer. I deal with stage and concert electrics on a a daily basis but am far from being a sparky :) . Was just trying to find out if it could be something glaringly obvious before she pays for someone to come look at at.

Cheers

wouldn't cost much for a sparks to check it for you. (not more than £50 if it was me). finding an elusive fault could be a bit pricy though.

Reply to RCD Tripping Advice needed. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net