RCD tripping without load | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD tripping without load in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all. Just got a ''on your way home could you just'' call out to an outside shed fed from an MCB inside the garage of the main house. Water had got through the roof at weekend, RCD had tripped, couldn't turn RCD back on.

I assumed it would be water in the sockets or lights but disconnected everything from the load side of the RCD and it still wouldn't re-set. Said I'd pop by 1st thing with a new RCD to change it...any chance the RCD would be faulty because of the water or am I missing something elementary? :confused:

Cheers, Rob

Yeah was a small c.u with an RCD and a couple of ways, one for lights, one for sockets. Took all the lives and neutrals out

test the rcd. may have got water in that. if you ain't got an rcd tester handy, fit new one and see. but IR test would be the way to ensure circuits have dried out and are healtrhy

Last edited:
Couldn't test the RCD as it wasn't for holding on. Incomming side of RCD was all that was connected and it still wouldn't re-set. Other than live testing the RCD 1/2 x 1 x and 5 x plus ramp testing there isn't any others to do (or are there?)

Didn't get my testers out of the van for IR as RCD tripping without any of that connected but will do in morning anyway

its a posability the there has been a direct short due to the water and has destroyed the RCD best way new RCD and test all circuits befor reenergising it

Reply to RCD tripping without load in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net