RCD Trips | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD Trips in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm not an electrician. My RCD at home constantly trips. I tried turning off the power, resetting the RCD and putting the circuits back one by one, to work out what was tripping it. All were okay, except when I turned back on 'downstairs sockets' or 'upstairs sockets' either one of those would immediately cause the RCD to trip. I figured it may be a faulty appliance so went round and unplugged everything. However this made no difference. I thought it might be the fridge but I turned off the isolator and my electrician told me it couldn't be the fridge as it's behind a double pole isolator. My electrician is on holiday so won't be able to look for a few days. Is there anything else you think it could be or anything else I can easily check ? I don't have a multimeter or anything. Appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit needle in a haystack time...

General rule of thumb is that RCD's trip for 1 of 3 reasons:
1. Faulty appliance
2. Damage to a circuit
3. Water ingress.

Reply to RCD Trips in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

In my opinion replacing the consumer unit and waiting to see which RCBO trips is not a good fault finding technique. If the lighting circuit...
Replies
Views
davesparks
D
Ok I’ll try this when I’m down
Replies
Views
  • Question
As you said in #9 get an electrician involved. The information you are giving is not clear as you do not understand what is being asked which...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Assumption is the mother of all major foul-ups! Start with the basics, like IR testing, RCD testing on its own, and checking the leakage as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A kettle boiling fish - thats your fault right there... or is it a red herring? :)
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks