RCD's in domestic properties | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss RCD's in domestic properties in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

matt1386

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all, just a quick question

we have recently been carrying out some remedial work for a company after another electrical company let them down

Its basically taking down / refitting outside lights before and after the company has rendered the houses ( its a grant scheme so all the council houses are getting it done )

Now the first thing the boss checks before refitting the lights, is the earthing and also if the circuit has RCD protection, if not, that has to be done before hand

same on another job, no RCD on sockets do he wouldn't touch the job until an RCD had been fitted

basically my question is, does an RCD have to be fitted prior to any work been carried out on any of the circuits in a domestic property ?

Thanks very much

Matt

Thanks Tel, I thought that myself which is why i wanted to ask on here instead

So he's been giving the customers wrong info all along !

What about the sockets Tel, I looked in my OSG and it says RCD'd are required for socket outlets when used by ordinary people for general use ?

Would sockets require an RCD to be fitted prior to any work been carried out on that circuit ?

Or does the above only apply to newly installed circuits ?

Thanks again for your help mate, much appreciated

if fitting a new socket to an existing circuit, then RCD protection is required for the new socket and for any new cable if it falls under the scope of 522.6.101. an RCD can be fitted to the new work or to the whole circuit.

Cheers Simon, got it, the job with the sockets was actually adding extra points, so he was correct to fit an RCD to that circuit as it was an alteration

As for the lights, theres no need at all for an RCD as its a like for like replacement

You say it is Council Housing. It may or may not need RCD's or anything else to comply with BS7671. But have you looked at the customers requirements. Your boss may be privy to information that you are not, and the council or anyone else for that matter, can specify what they like over and above the requirements of BS7671.

Cheers.............Howard

Reply to RCD's in domestic properties in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net