Re:Electricians Arms | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Re:Electricians Arms in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

boogaloo

Hey, thanks for the forum, it is great.
I had a small question on the sub-forum "The Electricians Arms". If I understand correctly, one of the conditions which grant someone access to this sub-forum is to have registered yourself as a bona-fide electrician in the phone book or yellow pages or something. I understand that there are contributors in that forum who have set themselves up in business, having been less than 3 years in the trade. I understand that society accepts this today but should a forum, calling itself an electricians forum, accept electricians mates as electricians. I know that our trade is being devalued by the government and various other special interest groups but please, not here too.
In my humble opinion.
What do others think? Is it acceptable to call oneself an electrician with less than 3 years electrical experience? If so then where is the line drawn?
I am just ****ed off I can't get in that forum because I don't run a business.BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Electricians Arms

interesting point, which has been brought up before however the arms is made up from respected members who contribute in various ways, try contacting a mod privately instead of critisisng in open .

Hi There,

I'm fairly new to this forum, but not to being a sparky. The way I see it is that this forum has standards and rules, and we as users should stick to them and qualify for whatever part, how they ask. I've been a sparky for over 22 years and although I don't work for myself at the moment I plan to in the near future. If it means I cant get into certain areas until that time then so be it. I do not think starting a thread critising the Mods on here for their rules is the best way to go about it. Remember this is someones web site, its their ball park and we have to play by their rules.

I also do not think its a good thing to "have a pop" at the recently qualified sparkys on here for me if you hold the qualification your allowed to call yourself a sparky whether its been 2 weeks 2 years or 20 years. Everyone had to start some where and all credit to those that do start up just after qualifying, experience comes with practise and its not rocket science is it?? Really???

I suppose you are right, its not rocket science and I should accept that if someone has a certificate or two and been doing electrical work for a year or two, then they are indeed an electrician.
There was no criticism really. I had just always thought that an electrician was someone who had been in the trade for at least 4 years. At least that is what I understood by the JIB and by the guys whom I learned my trade from. I just wanted clarification from someone that what I have believed for 20+ years was entirely wrong. At least I know now that what I do for a living can be done by anyone with enough money to buy it, the sheer grit and determination to stick it out on site for a year or 2 and the nerve to call themselves an electrician. Because, you are right they have earned it.

Not.

Hey, thanks for the forum, it is great.
I had a small question on the sub-forum "The Electricians Arms". If I understand correctly, one of the conditions which grant someone access to this sub-forum is to have registered yourself as a bona-fide electrician in the phone book or yellow pages or something. I understand that there are contributors in that forum who have set themselves up in business, having been less than 3 years in the trade. I understand that society accepts this today but should a forum, calling itself an electricians forum, accept electricians mates as electricians. I know that our trade is being devalued by the government and various other special interest groups but please, not here too.
In my humble opinion.
What do others think? Is it acceptable to call oneself an electrician with less than 3 years electrical experience? If so then where is the line drawn?
I am just ****ed off I can't get in that forum because I don't run a business.BTW

I dont run a business....I am employed.....but not so long ago on return from a holiday suddenly found myself in the arms!........I believe the mods will look at your contributions to the forum over a period of time and base their decision on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arms membership is not limited only to guy who run their own business i myself am employed by a company. Once you have contributed regularly to the forum you can ask admin for access.

If you are interested in joining the arms but aren't self-employed, send a private message to admin who will probably be able to make an exception.

Being part of the arms is as much to do with your contribution to the forum, however, as how long you've been an electrician.

By the same token as your argument, I've met several so-called electricians who have been in the game a lot longer than I, like 40 years or whatever, and haven't got a clue. I don't think you can say 'right, 4 years and you're a good electrician. Anything less and you're an oaf'. Sure, experience is very important, but I think in this game you either have 'it', the X factor, whatever you want to call it, or you don't. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there working who obviously don't.

I think you are missing the point of the arms good sir!. The point of the entry requirements is to keep diy'ers etc out and to give us a opportunity to discuss things away from public view. And as a result of that, t ONE of the ways of achieving this is the self employment rule. Having said tha, it's not a hard and fast rule and it's not set in stone, the mods will take each person on their merits and post history.

So get posting and good luck!!

I dont run a business....I am employed.....but not so long ago on return from a holiday suddenly found myself in the arms!........I believe the mods will look at your contributions to the forum over a period of time and base their decision on that.

That's how I got in by constructive contributions. In my own opinion there are some respected members that should PM Lenny and apply (ken, Malcolm). The Arms is not a secret hand shake club, it still has the same rules. Most people in there know each other and can make personal remarks for a joke that can not be put on an open forum. The electrical talk is all done in the normal forum.

If you are interested in joining the arms but aren't self-employed, send a private message to admin who will probably be able to make an exception.

Being part of the arms is as much to do with your contribution to the forum, however, as how long you've been an electrician.

By the same token as your argument, I've met several so-called electricians who have been in the game a lot longer than I, like 40 years or whatever, and haven't got a clue. I don't think you can say 'right, 4 years and you're a good electrician. Anything less and you're an oaf'. Sure, experience is very important, but I think in this game you either have 'it', the X factor, whatever you want to call it, or you don't. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there working who obviously don't.

God no no please no Rocker no...........no singing and dancing in here!!

Arms membership is not limited only to guy who run their own business i myself am employed by a company. Once you have contributed regularly to the forum you can ask admin for access.

I am a senior member and no will even get back to me about joining.

interesting point, which has been brought up before however the arms is made up from respected members who contribute in various ways, try contacting a mod privately instead of critisisng in open .

He's not criticising, he appears to be asking for clarification on who can join.

Reply to Re:Electricians Arms in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net