Re-wire done by a company who has gone bust. No part P issued | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Re-wire done by a company who has gone bust. No part P issued in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Beta

I'm looking for some advice as my local building control has given my conflicting advice to what I have previously read.

I had a full re-wire of my house done last year, by an apparent Part P certified person (I foolishly didn't check which body they were registered with etc) and the Ltd company has now ceased trading.

I have not received a Part P certificate and building control has not been notified. I did receive a 'certificate' which was a photocopy out of the regulations with the resistances completed etc which leads me to believe they were not Part P registered and not a member of any body.

Building control has said to employ another electrician who could certify the work. I was under the impression that another electrician could not certify the work?

What other options do I have? Retrospective planning permission from building control and get them to inspect the work?

Building control nor trading standards seem to really want to know about the potential rogue electrician.

Thanks.

We hear of this all the time LABC cannot certify nor can another electrician as the work has already been done. The only thing you can do now is get a PIR done by an electrician. This is similar to an MOT on a car. He will recommend on that report if any work needs doing. Then either he or another electrician will do the work required if any and issue an EIC.

I think building control are staying out of it because if they get involved in reality the buck stops with you which means you could be fined upto £5000.00 for using an unregistered electrician for a notifiable job.

Hope that helps

Chris

Now i'm really confused.

I've received an email from LABC replying to an email I sent them a few weeks ago stating the below

"I can confirm that if you have employed an electrician who is not registered with a self-certification competent persons scheme you should have submitted an application to a building control body such as ourselves.

You can rectify this by submitting a regularisation application for the work. The form for this can be down loaded from the local authority website"

ACAT is correct, best get an electrician to PIR to see what your up against then make a decision of a way forward, the problem is the responsibility for planning or building control is with the home owner not the contractor.

As already stated, a periodic is the way forward. The council are doing what they can, in that allowing you to notify them of the work retrospectively, but they will need to have compliance with regs proven.
Have you asked them how much they charge for them to initiate an inspection. ?
I know some councils will, and some won't, carry out or arrange, for an inspection to be done.

Otherwise you will need to contract someone yourself who is able to deal direct with your local building control and see what is going to be needed to achieve compliance.

You may have been wiser to not involve building control at all
They are not interested at all in part p and would not in themselves instigate any investigation of non compliance if it was left to them

The part p notification could have been overcome quite easily

There is no way of knowing the exact date the rewire took place
Harmonisation of colours took place before part p
Problems could only arise if you state voluntarily on the HIP when selling the property, that you had post part p work done,even then,a Pir at the time of sale would overcome any buyers solicitors requests

Part p doesn't work.it is not enforced and nobody really cares about adhering to it
If building control in your area has instigated this,then they are almost unique with their adhesion to laws,because most other areas dont give a ----

As already stated, a periodic is the way forward. The council are doing what they can, in that allowing you to notify them of the work retrospectively, but they will need to have compliance with regs proven.
Have you asked them how much they charge for them to initiate an inspection. ?
I know some councils will, and some won't, carry out or arrange, for an inspection to be done.

Otherwise you will need to contract someone yourself who is able to deal direct with your local building control and see what is going to be needed to achieve compliance.

Yes, the council have stated its £286+VAT for retrospective notification.

Ok here's the deal.

IF the work has been done and is not certified with an EIC, speak to the council, not email, and inform them of the situation.

Ask them if they are prepared to accept a PIR for the works done instead of paying them some horrendous amount for retrospective notification.

If they are fairly accommodating, they would normally accept this.

Have spoken with LABC and they have stated that they will accept a PIR.

Thanks to everyone who's replied, you've been so much more helpful than ANYONE at BC or trading standards.

Really appreciate it.

Reply to Re-wire done by a company who has gone bust. No part P issued in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net