Re-wire for cooker 3.7 kw | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Re-wire for cooker 3.7 kw in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phill-bob

Hi -

We want to install a cooker in our new house (moved in Feb 2011) which needs a 3.7 kw supply -

Our current cooker (which has just been broken down) is dual fuel (electric oven) & plugged in to the wall. It has a single oven and came with the house - I'm not even sure what wattage it uses. The wiring in the house looks pretty old.

We are just arranging to get quotes from local electricians (Brighton) and I wanted to know roughly how much it should cost to 'hard-wire' a cooker (sorry - don't know the terminology) that is over 2.7kw. (I'm aware that anything over 2.7kw needs 'hard-wiring')

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks ... :)

There is absolutely nothing in the regulations that state that anything over 2.7kW needs "Hard Wiring". If it's 3kw or over then a 13A plug top is not good for it as 1kw is approx 4.3A. I won't say how much it would cost as I cannot see the condition of the instalation and it wouldn't be fair to you to give you price which you'd be looking for your local decent spark to be there or there abouts. If he was more expensive than what I'd say, it could be because he can see the job and know that there is more to it than just a simple connect up.

If the guys good which if you use a reputable company he probably will be, he won't rob you. Speak to your new neighbours,find out who they use, gives you a chance to talk to them too. hope this helps

your full load current would be 16A. a simple 4mm or 6mm radial from the dis. board to a cooker isolator . i would go for 6mm to allow for a cooker point with socket outlet, and in case of future uprating of cooker. 32A MCB. you do not say what type of dis. board you have. if it's a "domino fuse " type, then a separate small board could be fitted. RCD protection will most probably be required, and , of course the earthing and bonding would have to be checked and upgraded if necessary. cost could be anywhere between £150 and £350 that's an idea, without seeing the job, it's impossible to be sure)depending on requirements. bet there's a forum member near to you could have a look and give you a better idea.

Reply to Re-wire for cooker 3.7 kw in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net