Re-wire, How long should it take... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Re-wire, How long should it take... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bluemarble108

I am enquiring as to how long a full electrical re-wire should take for a standard 4 bed house. I am currently having this done and my electrician (nic, part p qualified) has taken 7 weeks so far (working 8am - 4pm fulltime!) and still isn't finished.

Tea breaks and banter I don't mind, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating as this is delaying builders and other planned works. We have tried to gently nudge this chap on, but there is a different excuse for any little thing. I have spoken to friends who have said the norm is 2 to 4 days? Please advise, as I'm not sure this will ever end...

- Very frustrated!

2-4 days is ridiculous in any circumstance. I would say 7 weeks is excessive, but there are hundreds of factors to take into account. Is the house inhabited? Is it a standard plugs-and-lights rewire or are there loads of other things to take into account. Also, is he doing it himself.

Having people living and using the house is a major time factor, as is doing everything yourself - it can take time and it's going to depend on how much you are paying him as well; that said, if you've paid him top dollar and he's doing it all himself then theres something wrong there. 7 weeks is long, but on the other hand would you prefer it to take a while and be right first time, or be quick and have to keep ringing him up for the next 6 months when everything trips!

Anyway, any other info you can give will paint a clearer picture!

The house is uninhabited so he has a free run, he's on a fixed payment contract for the full re-wire so seems to be working at a leisurely pace - but is in turn delaying other work. He is doing it all himself, and it is majorly standard plug and wire, with a couple of external lights and a room with spots.

Reply to Re-wire, How long should it take... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net