Re-wirring an electric storage heater | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Re-wirring an electric storage heater in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimmydafix

Hi all,

I am looking into the options for re-wirring an electric storage heater from its current location to the opposite wall of the room. A new oak floating floor is also being fitted in the room with an acoustic underlay. From what I understand to ensure there is no visible wiring, I have to create a channel in the subfloor to allow for the cables to run under the new flooring, to relocate the storage heater, as running the cables behind the skirting board is not possible. The length of the room is 3.5m and there are 7 cables in total from 4 separate points. 2 power cables, 2 cables for the switch and 3 cables for the spur, which will create a large channel in the subfloor. Can I just rewire the 2 power cables and leave the switch and spur in the original location? or do I have to move all the cables and points across to the new location? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a storage heater with a day supply, but then that would only be 3 cores

Just to clarify its only the 1 heater i need to move. The model is a Dimplex FXL24i 3.4kw + 1.5kw boost. So your right there is a day supply (the boost) and also the evening supply which makes the 2 supply cables that were behind the storage heater. The other cables are for the on/off switch (2) and the fused spur (3). So can I just move the supply cables using a junction box to extend the cables to the other wall or do I have to move the on/off switch and fused spur to the other wall as well?

Well the circuit for the storage heater and for the day boost will need the wiring that you install to be up to standards, and given that the cable will be buried it will either need to be mechanically protected in such a way that the rcd can be omitted or placed on an RCD . If the day rate is on a fused connection then you could change that to an RCD FCU and then have a non rcd one placed in the new location, but the night part would more likely require an RCBO in line of the circuit via your existing consumer unit if it can take one, or placed near your existing consumer unit.

In terms of isolation its recommended to have means of isolation within 2m so I would be moving those also, but in terms of specific regs I dont think it is mandatory. Tel will correct me on that Im sure.

Just to clarify its only the 1 heater i need to move. The model is a Dimplex FXL24i 3.4kw + 1.5kw boost. So your right there is a day supply (the boost) and also the evening supply which makes the 2 supply cables that were behind the storage heater. The other cables are for the on/off switch (2) and the fused spur (3). So can I just move the supply cables using a junction box to extend the cables to the other wall or do I have to move the on/off switch and fused spur to the other wall as well?

This is making no sense to me.

The heater should have 2 supplies, 1 24hr and 1 off peak. Each supply should be terminated at an isolator adjacent to the heater.
From each isolator there should be a suitably sized heat resistant flex connected to the heater.

The only other cable you may have connected to the heater would be for an external timeswitch to control the boost function via the external controls connections inside the heater.

Moving the supplies can easily be achieved by removing the isolators and extending the fixed wiring from there to the new location in accordance with all rules regarding the routing of cables, then fit blanking plates to cover the joints where the isolators were.

Then fit isolators in a suitable position adjacent to the new heater position and fit the heater, carry out any other upgrades necessary for compliance, test the work and fill in the Electrical installation certificate.

For the sake of your property and any family you have, contact a qualified electrician who will do the job safely.

Why can’t new members be directed to the DIY section from the outset?

Reply to Re-wirring an electric storage heater in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net