Recommended additional courses | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Recommended additional courses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SouthyBCFC

Hi all, first post so bare with me. Currently I am a 19 year old apprentice having worked two years in the trade predominately in a domestic environment. Today i had my quarterly review with my training officer at work and it has come to light that the budget whereby any additional courses requested by the employees comes out of needs to be spent by march 2015. My point been is there anyone out there that can recommend me any additional short courses etc. that will benefit my CV in the future any suggestions would be welcomed. Currently thinking towards a 2 day PAT testing course but any thoughts from users i would be thankful for. Cheers for your time Tom

Still trying to get to grips with qualification jargon however... I have recently completed my 2357 level 3 city and guild qualification, still waiting to get my NVQ logbook all signed off and also in full knowledge that my employer will fund me for my 2391 inspection and testing and also my AM2 assessment. Knowing where i stand please could you shed some light on what the suggested course is, is this anything similar to the old C course i have heard so much about? cheers trev

You saying that i have just looked up and found the exact same so i am 100% certain my employer will be funding me for the 2394/5 course regardless at some point in 2015. That been said off the top of your head can you think of any courses i can research that would benefit me in the long run as an electrician

I'd steer well clear of the pat course mate, if you've got the bit of paper that means your gaffer could send you out doing it. I don't like the thought of suicidal 19 year olds and after a day or 2 you would be.
Why don't you talk to your boss and see what courses the company would like you to go on. If it's available I'd be looking at fire and intruder alarms.

Haha nobody ever did hear of an enthusiastic pat tester. Agreed that seems a great route to go down i don't feel i could get it authorised due to the lack of alarm systems we tend to deal with at work keeping in mind i am employed by my local council (tea boy); we seem to stick to domestic in general unfortunately it feels very limited at the moment i want to gain the most qualifications i can from the place whilst working there as you can see.

Bull.
All councils have a section looking after schools and public buildings mate. They are bottomless pits of cash too, screw any course you can out of them then head off into the big bad world :)

Haha agreed mate, sucks the fact were separated into two completely different sections one depot that looks after areas listed above and us purely domestic, feel as though i fell into the wrong section, cheers for your advice anyway mate

I subbed for our LA a few months back and was shocked at how it's organised. The really good sparks are all on installation while the less talented ones are on repairs. Come the end of the decent homes work it'll be the installation lads that get dumped though.

You saying that i have just looked up and found the exact same so i am 100% certain my employer will be funding me for the 2394/5 course regardless at some point in 2015. That been said off the top of your head can you think of any courses i can research that would benefit me in the long run as an electrician
Don't waste your firms money and your time on the PAT course

Haha nobody ever did hear of an enthusiastic pat tester. Agreed that seems a great route to go down i don't feel i could get it authorised due to the lack of alarm systems we tend to deal with at work keeping in mind i am employed by my local council (tea boy); we seem to stick to domestic in general unfortunately it feels very limited at the moment i want to gain the most qualifications i can from the place whilst working there as you can see.

I would of thought an alarm course would be more use for domestic work exactly how much PAT testing are you going to do in a domestic property

Agreed an alarm installation course seems to be more relevant again bareing in mind from a social housing perspective alarm installations doesn't get paid for tenants through the councils funding i can't stress enough how much of a useful qualification this would be for me to have. PAT testing seemed a suggestion due to the amount that goes on throughout the depot given the vast amount of tradesmen present needing it

Still trying to get to grips with qualification jargon however... I have recently completed my 2357 level 3 city and guild qualification, still waiting to get my NVQ logbook all signed off and also in full knowledge that my employer will fund me for my 2391 inspection and testing and also my AM2 assessment. Knowing where i stand please could you shed some light on what the suggested course is, is this anything similar to the old C course i have heard so much about? cheers trev

How the hell did you manage to complete C&G 2357 level 3 technical certificates and complete NVQ 3 in 2 years??????

If the vast majority of your companies work is in the domestic sector, how have you managed to complete the NVQ 3??

Somethings not quite adding up here....

How the hell did you manage to complete C&G 2357 level 3 technical certificates and complete NVQ 3 in 2 years??????

If the vast majority of your companies work is in the domestic sector, how have you managed to complete the NVQ 3??

Somethings not quite adding up here....

It does add up. I know apprentices / trainee electricians who have done NVQ3 in 2 years and all domestic. Many did it on one massive social housing contract we were all on for over 4 years.

Reply to Recommended additional courses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back