Relay for a car horn upgrade. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Relay for a car horn upgrade. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
OK, I only know the very basics when it comes to electrical circuits so any help will be really appreciated.
The horn on my car is a single tone sounder, (factory fitted). I'm curious if I can upgrade it to a dual tone. I'm aware that I may have to wire them as a parallel circuit but would I need to upgrade to a different relay as well?
Could I as an alternative swap to a different 'rated' relay and wire the two sounders in series?

they will need to be wired in parallel.
assuming that the current (A) of both the new horns added together is less than the fuse for the original horn, you are probably good to go.

Thanks James. So I don't need to worry about overloading the relay? If the total amps are higher could I use a bigger fuse or would I have to change other things if I do that?
Wire them in, if they work, then it's fine (It more than likely will be).
It's not fine to just put a higher rated fuse in.

What's the trim level of your car? Is it one of the more basic ones? If so, it's possible that a higher spec of the same car would be fitted with twin horns, and the wiring for a second horn might already be there.
It's already the top spec model. Being a Dacia I think they were all fitted with a single tone horn. I'll have a look at what Amp rating some of them are and see what access I have to the wiring for it.

Reply to Relay for a car horn upgrade. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net