Reported content: Post in thread 'Domestic electric fires' | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Reported content: Post in thread 'Domestic electric fires' in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Post in thread 'Domestic electric fires' by Birdman has been reported by fairlight. Reason given:
OP states any help appreciated and is then disrespectful to helpful replies received

Content being reported:
Electric heaters are almost inherently 100% efficient at converting electricity into heat and always have been. If it registers 2kW load on the meter, it will be producing 2kW of heat. The difference between one heater and another is in how the heat is distributed, e.g. a radiant heater heats the people and objects at which it is aimed, while a fanheater heats the air, etc.

For any particular radiant heater such as your Dimplex, different elements could theoretically have different dispersion patterns that focus the heat more or less accurately where you want it. However, 'aftermarket replacements' are normally intended to meet the original maker's spec as closely as possible and may be from the same production, (although some aftermarket parts are second-grade that the manufacturer rejected, or copies made with cheaper materials).

The way to improve efficiency in using electricity for heating is to ditch the elements and use the electricity to power a heat pump. Use it to move heat that already exists, rather than make new heat! The cosy glow you can do with LEDS...

At last a intellegent answer to my original questiom , thank you Lucien , this makes sense.

I don't think the op meant any disrespect by his comment tbh just that the previous replies where only linking to websites and not going into detail as Lucien has done.

Reply to Reported content: Post in thread 'Domestic electric fires' in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net