Requirements to Install EV Chargers | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Requirements to Install EV Chargers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I think this is the right place to post.

Up until now I've steared clear of installing EV Chargers, mainly because as a Self Employed Sparky I've not been able to compete with the national companies. However I'm getting enquiries from my client base asking to install EV Chargers, so I'm going to start offering to do it.

What's confusing me is whether I have to have the C&G 2921-31 EV Charging Qualification before I start. I know all about PEN Fault Detection requirements, RCD's have to be A type if the EV Charger doesn't have an RCD built in, main fuse should be 100A, DNO's have to be told etc so I'm not totally green on this subject (Oh and obviously I'm part of a CPS, and been a Sparky for many moons).

From my research you only have to have this qualification IF you are wanting to be part of the governments EV Charge Scheme and if the EV Charger company needs you to be approved. If not then you don't

Any thoughts anyone ?

I know all about PEN Fault Detection requirements, RCD's have to be A type if the EV Charger doesn't have an RCD built in, main fuse should be 100A, DNO's have to be told etc so I'm not totally green on this subject (Oh and obviously I'm part of a CPS, and been a Sparky for many moons).
Except where provided by the EV charging equipment, protection against DC fault currents shall be provided by:
(i) an RCD Type B, or
(ii) an RCD Type A or Type F in conjunction with a residual direct current detecting device (RDC-DD)
complying with BS IEC 62955 as appropriate to the nature of the residual and superimposed currents and
recommendation of the manufacturer of the charging equipment.

Upvote 0

Reply to Requirements to Install EV Chargers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net