Rodents chewed neutral tail insulation | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Rodents chewed neutral tail insulation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Passed 2330 last week, thought i'd practice testing at home for 2392 next month. [ElectriciansForums.net] Rodents chewed neutral tail insulation
Lots of evidence of mice being around ,no dead ones tho .
so i need to replace the tail. the neutral tail goes to the meter no isolator. so safe isolation would be to remove the
main fuse and carry out repair? But am i right that i should not break the seal on the cutout?

You could fit a henly block or contact the DNO if you do not want to break the seal also with regards to mice they can be a problem in kitchens especially where people use a lot of vegtable oil as this get caught up in the steam and then settles on the cables running on top of the wall cupboards then the mice come along and nibble away at them and then muggins here gets the job to sort it out.

On the subject of rodent damage...

I extended a kitchen ring recently, cable was run in the cavity below the wooden floor (ground level). I crimped on a new piece of T+E and wrapped it all in self-amalgamating tape.

When I took the boards up again a few weeks later, it looked like part of the tape had been chewed, but there was no damage to the T+E at any point on it's length.

Anyone know what's happened here? Just coincidence, or do mice just like the taste of self amalgamating tape?

you will need about 6" - 8" of tail inside the CU. do not attempt that. as a temporary measure, you could tape over the damage. only way to repair is either fit a henley block or replace the tail.

At least with a Henley block you don’t have break the meter seal. Now should the cut out fuse seal just happened to have fallen off you could install your own isolator. save a lot of faffing about.

Passed 2330 last week, thought i'd practice testing at home for 2392 next month. View attachment 11420
so i need to replace the tail. the neutral tail goes to the meter no isolator. so safe isolation would be to remove the
main fuse and carry out repair? But am i right that i should not break the seal on the cutout?

are you sure thats rodent damage? they tend to chew when cables are through a hole they want to get through,seeing as theres a large gap next to it doesnt make sense,also whats the patch of wall next to the neutral,looks like drill damage to both imo..

Passed 2330 last week, thought i'd practice testing at home for 2392 next month. View attachment 11420
Not sure is that is rodent damage or just a bit of a bodged install. Enough room there to poke your finger up and get to the busbar. More than enough room for a mouse to get into that CU.

Reply to Rodents chewed neutral tail insulation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net