Run two motors from one inverter/ESC?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Run two motors from one inverter/ESC?? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

crooky

Hi All,

I have an inverter/speed controller that powers a three phase motor.

Based on the information provided below, is it possible to run two of these motors off the one inverter?

Inverter Spec

[ElectriciansForums.net] Run two motors from one inverter/ESC??

Motor Spec

[ElectriciansForums.net] Run two motors from one inverter/ESC??

The motor has a sanding attachment but can only sand one side of a piece of timber at a time. Hence, if I can place another motor/sander beneath the existing motor I can sand both faces of the timber in a single pass.

Many thanks,

Crooky

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Run two motors from one inverter/ESC??
    setup.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 50
Lack of info means its hard to call, is your input to inverter 1ph or 3ph judging by the plate on the inverter are you in America, check on the inverter to find what existing motor pulls under full load conditions if this is about 40% of the inverters capacity then fitting a similar motor may work but independant overload protection will be needed for the motors and some parameters may need to be altered to allow the drive to function both motors, also if single phase input to inverter can the supply to the machine handle the extra motor (approx motor rated current times 3 additional to existing design load), alternative methods may be cheaper too so consider running both sanding wheels off 1 motor although you may need to upgrade to larger KW motor if its still within the inverters limits.

Last edited:
As with Darkwood... I'm unsure of your location too. Assuming you are in the UK then I can see from the motor controller that it's 1ph 230Vac input so will be a 3ph 230Vac output to the existing motor with a full load current of 2.2A. The motor controller is rated to an output of 3.6A. So in my opinion adding a further motor, identical to the existing one will require a total of 4.4A from the controller thus exceeding it's rating and gives a potential to overload it. Perhaps, if the motor runs nowhere near its FLA during normal use, you could get away using two motors providing it handles their start-up. Me being me would try it and look for smoke. No smoke then its a go-er!

Having two motors from the one speed controller requires each to have their own overload unit set to relevant motor FLA.

Let us know your outcome.

Some additional info: http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbac.pdf
http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals/kbac_manual.pdf

Looking into the electrical ratings of your unit it can handle 0.75kw therefore two of your 0.37kw motors. Check position of jumper J2 and place in position A.

Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your prompt replies.

I am in the UK so the input voltage to the inverter is single phase 230VAC.

The speed controller has ten settings that go up in increments of 10 (0-100), but I never go above halfway.

Therefore, based on this on the update from silva.foxx I'll give it a go. I'm going to install overload protectors for each motor just to be on the safe side.

I'll give you an update when I've got it sorted.

Thanks again!

Crooky

Its a breath of fresh air to see a question and have photos of rating plates to supplement the written info. Thanks.

Hope it goes ok.

Reply to Run two motors from one inverter/ESC?? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net