running cables in ceiling | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss running cables in ceiling in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI all first time poster here anyway ,what is the best proper way to run cables in ceiling before the plasterboard goes up ,drill the joists or just clip them to the top of the joist, thanks in advance.

drill joists at correct depth / position as required by part p etc...!!

alternatively drill random holes and pass cables through and when ceiling goes up they wont be exposed for about 20 years at least and by then we will have moved on to the 39th edition and no body will really care!

Probably the best way is to make sure that he person installing the cables, above the plasterboard ceiling, is experienced enough and competent enough to do so in a way that maintains electrical safety

IF they are ceiling joists 75mm x 50mm ,with loft space then they should be clipped on top of the joists do not drill the joist as this will not comply as the hole will not be 50mm from the surface ,also drilling ceiling joists could reduce the strength of the ceiling , Check out the electricians guide to building regs ,page 31 and 119 .this will give you more info , if youve not got the book id advise you get one good book

HI all first time poster here anyway ,what is the best proper way to run cables in ceiling before the plasterboard goes up ,drill the joists or just clip them to the top of the joist, thanks in advance.

Sort out your cable route first!!! then use a 32mm wood bit to drill your holes as close to the centre of the joist as poss. The holes will need to be at least 50mm from the top or bottom of the joist in order to prevent nails from going though the cable.

Drill the joists as per the OSG and/or The Electricians guide to the building regs. Clip them in such a way that they wont get trapped by plaster boards, pipe work etc etc. job done.

Cheers......Howard

Sort out your cable route first!!! then use a 32mm wood bit to drill your holes as close to the centre of the joist as poss. The holes will need to be at least 50mm from the top or bottom of the joist in order to prevent nails from going though the cable.

Your holes can only be a certain size in diameter, as a percentage of the size of the joist, but 32mm should be OK.

I've been on a few sites where the the first floor can only be held up by all the cables where there was once wood..the price of technology I guess

Reply to running cables in ceiling in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net