Running power to a shed | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Running power to a shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

basset

I need to run 25m of 2.5mm armored cabling to a shed. The consumer box has no RCD protection and no spare slots for a RCBO, so I'm thinking of putting an external RCD box next to the main consumer box, any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. i.e how do you split power off to a seperate box

When in the shed I need a box that splits the power for lights 6a and socket 20a. I don't think this needs to be RCD protected?

Any advice would be most appreciated

Best regards
James

Hahaha...pulling the fuse, numerous threads on that subject.
Personally if it appears to be in good condition, cut the seal and take it out. Remember, don't work LIVE unless there is absolutely no way not to.

There's a certain other forum where they abhor fuse pulling and they've got lots of horror stories to tell.

I'll leave it there. You'll get more advice from others.

Hahaha...pulling the fuse, numerous threads on that subject.
Personally if it appears to be in good condition, cut the seal and take it out. Remember, don't work LIVE unless there is absolutely no way not to.

There's a certain other forum where they abhor fuse pulling and they've got lots of horror stories to tell.

I'll leave it there. You'll get more advice from others.

It won't have a seal on it ....... will it ??!! ;)

It won't have a seal on it ....... will it ??!! ;)

Hey, we're all professionals here!

Reminds me of something nearly 30 years ago, renting council flat in Hulme, Manchester. Me mate calls the gas board out cos he smell gas. Engineer turns up and deals with it and says 'This was your problem, I found it under the meter' rubber washer from one of the pipe joints to the meter. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that...:)

Hey, we're all professionals here!

Reminds me of something nearly 30 years ago, renting council flat in Hulme, Manchester. Me mate calls the gas board out cos he smell gas. Engineer turns up and deals with it and says 'This was your problem, I found it under the meter' rubber washer from one of the pipe joints to the meter. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that...:)

It never ceases to amaze me just how many folk neglect to splash a bit of Leak Detection Fluid about after they've turned their meters around.... :uhoh2:

I know, sheer wrecklessnessss.

Another occasion, council flat in London, dubious diy meter work, we'd been there about 4 years and it was reading less than when we moved in, one of the hottest summers on record and we've got the heating on full and all the gas rings burning trying to get it to a sensible reading. Happy days, energy was cheap then! (this is all a long time ago, wouldn't dream of doing it now)

I know, sheer wrecklessnessss.

Another occasion, council flat in London, dubious diy meter work, we'd been there about 4 years and it was reading less than when we moved in, one of the hottest summers on record and we've got the heating on full and all the gas rings burning trying to get it to a sensible reading. Happy days, energy was cheap then! (this is all a long time ago, wouldn't dream of doing it now)

Neither would I. :aureola:

Wow so much advice, I really do appreciate it guys.

So how about I go for the 6mm cable and a 2 way modular box with an RCBO to protect the SWA and electrics in the shed?

At the shed end fit a 2nd unit with a 20A and a 6A MCB. take the earthing from the house.

And by the way its a TN-S system

Regards
James

James as it is a TN-S system I would advise putting a small garage board with the RCD protection in the shed itself and not the house.

Nothing worse than tripping the RCD while in the shed and having to walk the 25 metres back to the house to reset it.

Reply to Running power to a shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net