Safe Isolation again... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Safe Isolation again... in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Electricalserv

YouTube - Inspection and Testing Initial Verification for Domestic Properties (Excerpt)

From 1.46 (on the video) where the safe isolation procedure is being shown. He locks of the main switch and then tests the incoming tails part of the main switch and the voltage detector does not find a voltage. But if just the main switch was isolated as shown the video you would get a voltage across the 2 live tail incomers, providing there was no isolation switch before the consumer unit....

Has this been isolted before the main switch??? and not shown???

excellent method of testing to find out that the meter needs a shilling inserting.

Am I correct in what I'm saying??? If only the main switch is isolated the main incoming tails terminations would still provide a voltage...Its a no brainer really isn't it. So why have they not shown the means of isolation before the main switch

Last edited by a moderator:
It must have been. I normally like to test that something is live before isolating to ensure I know I have locked off the correct isolator. If it is already dead how do you know you have the right isolator unless the cable route is very obvious.

the one with the grey chest wig looks as if he's had his pinkies in a live socket anyway. it's obviousy a film made by H&S and the board has not been connected to any source of supply, just nailed up with a few ends of T/E screweed in to make it look real.

the one with the grey chest wig looks as if he's had his pinkies in a live socket anyway. it's obviousy a film made by H&S and the board has not been connected to any source of supply, just nailed up with a few ends of T/E screweed in to make it look real.

It isn't very good though is it....A rookie would be testing the main incomers after isolating main switch thinking...???????? Where am I going wrong?

have to agrree with testing live first. if it was circuit that could be energised elswhere and it was off at that moment you tested, then your a gona.

so many sparks are blasé when it comes to safe isolation. it should be drummed into them, but unfortunately in my personal experience, it tends to be older sparks who look down on us younger ones that are the worst. remember, your first bolt may be your last breath

Reply to Safe Isolation again... in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net