Scaffolding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Scaffolding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

codger

-
Reaction score
Hello lads. Was wondering if you could help me with an issue we have at work?
I'm a lecturer in electrical installation at a local college training young apprentice sparks. Part of the training involves getting the 1st stage lads to build a tower scaffold two sections high with all the necessary accessories that go with it.
The issue is that we feel we should be certificated in a suitable level of building. We have had advice before saying that we should be qualified not just to build the scaffold, but qualified to train people to build scaffolding.
Can anyone give me guidance on this or point me in the correct direction for advice. I've tried the HSE, but, to be honest, contacting them is like looking for the Holy Grail.

Much appreciated.

The instructor should be trained In the use of the various types of scaffold.

Before a scaffold is used it should have a ScafTag stating who inspected it and like PA testing a “next inspection due”.

Have a look HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
I have issues with tutors asking such questions ....surely if your already teaching such areas these concerns you have should have been addressed before taking on the responsibilities its almost scary you come on an internet forum to ask this kind of question... its health and safety and not saying you are giving wrong info but in your lack of training on the subject - what if you are?

EDIT.... Ignore the above post ... due to a later postt from the OP who has now made it clear he is not actively training students with scaffolding use and is only enquiring about who to contact regarding attaining the appropriate recognition to allow him to train and instruct others.

Last edited:
I have issues with tutors asking such questions ....surely if your already teaching such areas these concerns you have should have been addressed before taking on the responsibilities its almost scary you come on an internet forum to ask this kind of question... its health and safety and not saying you are giving wrong info but in your lack of training on the subject - what if you are?

And I agree with you but at least the OP has given this some thought (if belatedly) and is looking to cover his arse and ensure the safety of his trainees rather than just crack on regardless.

Yes but if he was trained then his advice may differ ... how many trainees would have passed with either misguided info or not fully informed ... (not saying this is the case) ... if its already happened then as i stated ... its scary that he comes on a forum to ask such a question.

......getting the 1st stage lads to build a tower scaffold two sections high with all the necessary accessories that go with it.
The issue is that we feel we should be certificated in a suitable level of building. We have had advice before saying that we should be qualified not just to build the scaffold, but qualified to train people to build scaffolding.

Maybe I'm missing something. When you say a scaffold tower that's 2 stages high then you're talking about a working platform that's about 2 or 3 feet above finished floor level????

What makes you uncomfortable about this? Are you actually instructing about scaffold tower building or are you instructing on how to work safely on a tower that might be supplied and installed by somebody else in real life conditions?

When he says 2 stage tower I picture something like this that would allow teaching of good working practices whilst at height. You can only put the working platform across the top of the first stage if it's a 2 stage tower. The second stage forms the rails to prevent man overboard.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Scaffolding

Maybe I'm missing something. When you say a scaffold tower that's 2 stages high then you're talking about a working platform that's about 2 or 3 feet above finished floor level???

Always thought tower stage heights are around 1 m to 1.25m each, if so, 2 stages will be around 2 to 2.5m high. Plus base plates or wheels if it's a movable tower...

When he says 2 stage tower I picture something like this that would allow teaching of good working practices whilst at height. You can only put the working platform across the top of the first stage if it's a 2 stage tower. The second stage forms the rails to prevent man overboard.

View attachment 20660

For goodness sake, next we'll need lessons for having a dump without over balancing and banging our heads on the bog roll holder....H&S going bananas.

View attachment 20660

That's called a podium mate, ATM there are no qualification requirements for using these but I wouldn't be surprised if this changes, these are what step ladders were banned in favour of.

The op is referring to a proper ally tower, 2m high sections built in situe with a final working height of anything up to 12m. IMO the op should be at least qualified to PASMA standard to be instructing on this.

Darkwood. We do not teach it, but it has always been a sticking point with management that we refuse to teach it based on the fact that none of us are certificated to any degree in scaffolding....of any type. The reason I ask is that it has come to that time of year again where we are being asked to do it and the whole debate has started again. What I'm looking for is some advice/guidance on the issue from guys who are actually dealing with this on a regular basis so that I am better informed for the debate.
Hope that clears that up for you.

Reply to Scaffolding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net