school computers-underfloor | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss school computers-underfloor in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davelerave

i've been asked to wire a classroom with 6 tables and 4 workstations at each table

each workstation has to to be networked back to a panel on wall,and each table requires
a 24v supply for raising and lowering the monitors

the floor is solid and a channel has to be cut-i'm thinking one rcbo per table as well as network cables

just looking for ideas on the cabling underfloor and the outlets(probably raised off floor) basically thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past i've just buried 25mm impact resistant pvc conduit within the floor slab. Make sure if your going to join the conduit within the slab that the joins are well sealed with cement and taped up with duct tape to stop ingress of concrete. Make sure you have adequate conduits for each desk and ELV and LV seperation. Probably be the cheapest option.

As the use of rooms tends to change in schools I usually install floor boxes in the slab with floor trunking so things can be altered when the technology changes

i was thinking of a couple of runs of 25m steel- with 3 4sq radials in each

and separate 24volt and networking

or else maybe the floor trunking-

Maybe power track? Using copex.
Sorry if my offerings are poor im new but have read about power track underfloor system. but i think its more suited to if you want to relocate sockets in the future with les hassle.

Maybe power track? Using copex.
Sorry if my offerings are poor im new but have read about power track underfloor system. but i think its more suited to if you want to relocate sockets in the future with les hassle.

Would only take care of the power not the data and low voltage that is also needed

Three compartment trunking and floor boxes, you'd have a job using power track in a slab it's designed for installation under raised floors

ya i'm thinking 3comp trunking

24 cat 5es

6 4sq radials-i want a separate rcbo for each table- type A?

and the power supply 24v <20amp

could i fit this in in a 'wishbone' formation ie: one central run -what size?

and how do i spur the 24v at each table

Install RCD protected sockets in the floor boxes , insatall a power strip to the desk to supply P.C., monitor,printer etc and try to incorperate the 24v transformers in the desking,

run data cables away from mains .. and do you have to have PE to each socket for computers the 24v feed is that coming from a psu away from bench or psu inside bench ? for monitor raiser

depends how the benches are set out ??? back of wall or in roles along classroom

when i was at school, all our computers were on the oustide of the room, and fed by dado trunking ( i didnt know then). I suppose it meant that the teacher could keep an eye on what was on our screens and we could all see him too

when i was at school we did not even have computers lol .. all the schools i have seen have dado trucking with data and power points all rcd sockets and data leads all ran away from mains trucking ..

when I was at school we all got laptops for the lessons then gave them back at the end of the lesson and they were put in a laptop safe that doubled up as a charger unit:D

In the end our school got a ratio of 1 to 1 with the laptops to pupils so they gave up with IT suites, they saved a fortune in the end.

Military school funded by state and charity, topped up with a small fee. they had a bit of cash knocking around :D

suit you sir! :) how comes you ended up as a sparks then? was oxbridge full that year? :D

:D being a sparks was more interesting and by the time you come out of uni your 25k in debt and you've just had a cheap 3-4 yr **** up with no job prospects at the end of it, so it seemed to be a no brainer :D I've got my m8 working with me at the moment and he went to cambridge so think I made the right choice;). He's like the ultimate apprentice when it comes to book work and calcs but suffers from total dyspracsia when it comes to using power tools :D

Install RCD protected sockets in the floor boxes , insatall a power strip to the desk to supply P.C., monitor,printer etc and try to incorperate the 24v transformers in the desking,

think the 24vdc supply will be remote .

will prob go with 3 comp flush and boxes

can the boxes be raised type with a number of outlets?

Reply to school computers-underfloor in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net