Sealing Hole in CU | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Sealing Hole in CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Resu

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick one. Have a 3 phase board in a small commercial unit fed from a single phase. Circular hole in bottom of cu is around 50mm in diameter and all that passes through is two 25mm tails and 16mm earth. What would be the best option to seal the hole without making a mess? Have found similar threads but these seems to centre around the hole being in the back (ie. into cavity) so options provided don't suit what we need. Our options are limited in regards to wholesalers (120 miles away), no delivery til Thursday, so would need to be something we could pick up in the likes of Jewsons or similar building merchants!

Thanks!

If the tails are fully supported and any movement won't play on the terminals then a grommet would be fine if the tails are unsupported then increase hole to 32mm and fit a stuffing gland... I did this today so 32mm will be suitable.
Available from most Electrical Wholesalers.

If the tails are fully supported and any movement won't play on the terminals then a grommet would be fine if the tails are unsupported then increase hole to 32mm and fit a stuffing gland... I did this today so 32mm will be suitable.
Available from most Electrical Wholesalers.
As said in OP existing hole is around 50mm. Need something to fill remaining gap to stop potential for fingers/objects to be inserted. (Ooer) and nearest wholesaler is 120 miles away and they dont deliver tomorrow

Would it pass the Standard Finger test as it is?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Sealing Hole in CU

get a piece of metal plate. drill out 25mm hole and some 5mm screw holes. self tappers into DB. fit grommet.
As soon as you asked steel or plastic this popped into my head! Been doing way to many EICRs recently and brain is fried with figures and codes. My technical side has just woken up! Thanks Tel, think this is the way we will go!

What no back stock?... ok then screw a conduit box lid over the hole and drill and grommet a more suited hole unless you have no stock at all then arrange to go back when you have the correct gear...can't help anymore than that unless you just want to make some grommet strip and silicone seal the remaining hole... if you have sealant but can look un-professional.

EDIT - OP posted at same time, same idea.... conduit lid is ready made though with holes ;) just needs center hole to drill then.

Last edited:
What no back stock?... ok then screw a conduit box lid over the hole and drill and grommet a more suited hole unless you have no stock at all then arrange to go back when you have the correct gear...can't help anymore than that unless you just want to make some grommet strip and silicone seal the remaining hole... if you have sealant but can look un-professional.
Yes back stock but its 35 miles away in the gaffer's shed and job is nearly the same distance the opposite way! Was looking for an easy option as I completely overthought it. We are in the process of making a list of stock for our newly acquired container round the corner from my house. Got a few more things to add now!

Yes back stock but its 35 miles away in the gaffer's shed and job is nearly the same distance the opposite way! Was looking for an easy option as I completely overthought it. We are in the process of making a list of stock for our newly acquired container round the corner from my house. Got a few more things to add now!
jigsaw something out for a tempory if it bothers you that much

...Ah,that explains a lot...I found one in my missus handbag....Bless her,she quite obviously has been supplementing the food budget,with some extra curricular compliance testing.

Must be,she hates DIY...:icon12:
Either that or that '50 shades of grey' crap has inspired her to give you a rectal exam on you next bedroom adventure :willy_nilly:

EDIT - OP posted at same time, same idea.... conduit lid is ready made though with holes ;) just needs center hole to drill then.

This just highlights what's going to happen from next year onwards. Can you imagine the abortions that are coming when these Electrical Trainee chancers start having to work with metal consumer units? lol!!

Reply to Sealing Hole in CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks