See what you make of this..... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss See what you make of this..... in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] See what you make of this.....
    CU.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Can't rally see or read much of your drawing layout, but hazard a guess that this maybe connected to a central HVAC system and the Fan Coil Units shown on your layout. These being separately metered....

Many Thanks Lenny thats a great help:smiley2:

3 x CUs and each with there own kWh meter then - seems quite extreme ( there will only be 2 or 3 circuits max on each CU!)

Oh well if that's what is required, then that is what I will price for..

Last edited:
Many Thanks Lenny thats a great help:smiley2:

3 x CUs and each with there own kWh meter then - seems quite extreme ( there will only be 2 or 3 circuits max on each CU!)

Oh well if that's what is required, then that is what I will price for..

It's a bloody nonsense, that's what it is!! Who the hell came up with that classic anorak requirement??

On larger projects we use dual metered DB's for power & lighting.

In your case it may be a bit OTT for 2-3 circuits max.

Might be worth looking to see if a small unit exists that would suit your needs.

Don't know the full facts, but it looks like some idiot behind a desk has been daydreaming. Like you say, info given, quote to spec. I think I'd have a chat with the designer though.

On larger projects we use dual metered DB's for power & lighting.

In your case it may be a bit OTT for 2-3 circuits max.

Might be worth looking to see if a small unit exists that would suit your needs.

What the hell is that all about then?? If your on a larger project, i would imagine it would be serviced by a BMS system!! Those systems can monitor and tell you exactly what you need to know, without this totally insane double/dual metering. So what is this supposed to achieve at the end of the day then, you'll still be using exactly the same total KW-hr ??

First i've ever heard of this set-up!! lol!! I'd hazard a guess shall i, ...It's to penalise companies that some obscure authority, thinks is using too much electricity!!...lol!!

They are hot on metering everything individually here now.

Schools, hospitals, care homes etc etc.

Basically, anything in the public sector must be seen to be doing it's 'bit'. TBH in anywhere without a commercial kitchen where outside contractors are used to supply food services, separate metering is a bit pointless and just creates a non job for some jobsworth to ensure that the establishment is toeing the line WRT energy efficiency.

Schneider are the usual set up's we use but Dorman-Smith also have a good versatile range of suitable DB's.

I think separate or dual metering is pointless no-matter where it's being used!! I honestly can't see a single justification for it. I suppose that the DNO will also be setting a separate service charge for each meter it supplies too, or is this dual metering on the consumers side only?? No- matter how many meters your going to add to an installation, measuring whatever, ...the final KWhr usage will remain the same.

It's just an expensive set-up, that really doesn't achieve anything except giving some faceless bureaucrat(s) sets of meaningless figures that they can play around with, and come up with even more useless figures, normally called statistics, and we all know how well they stand up to any scrutiny!! lol!!

It must be my sick mind;
“Sorry Mrs. Brown your ward cubical has used it’s allocation of power for the day. But I’m sure you’ll manage without life support for a couple of hours”. CLICK

I’m with everyone else on this, it’s worthless work creation.

What type of HVAC unit is it? Is it to cool only or is it to heat also? How much do the meters cost? I think I've seen the ABB ODIN in use for £180 on a HVAC unit. What is the cost of metering against the whole project?

I agree with most whats been said. But on sites after power factor correction there is still large wastage of power. Maybe localised metering is the start of introducing a building management system.

Reply to See what you make of this..... in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net