Setting out for downlights | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Setting out for downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Although over the years i've installed thousands of down lights, when it comes to marking the positions, i still seem to spend far to long on it.

If its a simple run of say 2 lines then i usually snap a chalk line from corner to corner, find the middle the measure out from the midpoint, then join the marks up to give me a nice straight line.

Is this how others do it or will just measuring across each end of the room and marking the center give the same result. Only reason I thought of asking, is i think i can save a hell of a lot of time some jobs if i can streamline this part of the task.

I use string or if only plastered and not painted a chalk line and i have stripped all the insulation off a screwdriver and use this to wiggle about so as to not hit any joists

I find my key is when youre doing first fix to do a good acurrate drawing of where they all are or will be.

mark out all your places then use a screw at each point so you can wrap the string around

perhaps a laser level might help

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some today. 5 lights in a bathroom.
A quick look, and I thought 4 in the corners, 350 square from each wall, one in the middle. Marked them up, but didnt look right, so did them at 450 squared in.Marked up again, and these looked better.
A quick measure of the joists then showed they were clear, and drilling began. Looked really good afterwards.

Another thing I did today for the first time was wire them up before inserting. For some daft reason, I've been putting the lights in, then wiring them up in the loft. This time I measured up the cable, attached to the light before fitment, and threaded the wire though the hole. Made it really simple join them at a junction box then (well, Wago.).
Alan.

Sorry im no help, but if its a new ceiling i make them fit for ME, especially if its two lines.

I dont go from the centre, i eye them through to see what looks good.

Obviously if its wide, then three lines etc.

I then draw out the shape of the room, draw the circles for the lights, and then write down the measurements from the wall and in between.

Before i drill, i use my eye as a guide to make sure they look right, as sometimes that is what its all about, regardless of measurements.

I use a laser. mark the end walls equal distance in to the first line of lights, then mark the second row the same off the same wall, third row and so on. I always mark them from one side just in case the room isn't square or you can end up with the lights closing in and it looks a mess.

Cheers..........Howard

The problem with working from the exact centre of the room is that I find that the joists above are always in the wrong place!

If I'm fitting more than 4, its always the chalk line, then a small hole through the ceiling, then access providing, a view from above to ensure suitable clearance from joists, cables, pipes, etc!

If I can't access from above I, use a length of 2.5mm cable with a bend in it just longer than the "recommended" minimum radius, poke it through my small hole and rotate it to check nothing is in the way. Then and only then do I get the big cutter out!

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Reply to Setting out for downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net