Should I put RCD on?? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Should I put RCD on?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi

I have installed some downlighters/shower lights but these should be protected by an RCD - thing is on the Consumer Unit it does not seem to have RCD in the location I need it to be.

I have attached a pic for ease of reference.

The showerlights are on the same circuit as the rest of the upstairs lighting - which is Number 2 MCB on the pic.

Am I right in saying that the shower lights should be protected by an RCD?

If so how can I go about this on this consumer unit?

Do I take the 10amp MCB out and replace with something like an RCBO or similar?

Or do I have to swap the Min Switch (far left) for an RCD Main Switch??

Any guidance/advice would be most appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Should I put RCD on??
    CU.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 97
fit an RCBO in the board, or if there is a FCU supplying the bathroom/ensuite change this for an RCD protected type. Don't forget, works in a bathroom be it Minor or otherwise is notifiable work.

Last edited by a moderator:
fit an RCBO in the board, or if there is a FCU supplying the bathroom/ensuite change this for an RCD protected type. Don't forget, works in a bathroom be it Minor or otherwise is notifiable work.

Thanks for the reply.

So it would be ok for me to exchange the MCB (in slot No:2) over for an RCBO?

Hear from you shortly.

Chris

Hi chrisgc looks like a Crabtree Starbreaker CCU, should cost you around £36 mark for the RCBO (Screwfix stock them). You may need to remake of the cable into way 5 as the RCBO will need a little more headroom than an MCB.

As mentioned above, the work is notifiable and you must ensure that earthing & bonding etc complies with current regulations.

Cannot work out why there is a double pole RCBO on the RCD protected side of the CCU though.

Regards WA

Right ho looking at the picture its a star breaker split load board as has been mentioned ,why its got an additional RCBO on the protected side im not sure ,here what i'd do move the additional RCBO to the unprotected side circuits 6 and 7 look as they are not used so remove them , then the circuit that supplies the bathroom lights (no 2 as you have said) move to the RCD protected side that way its not going to cost you anything in parts , but dont forget to move the neutral of the lighting circuit or you'll end up with a tripping RCD ,and as has been mentioned this type of work is notifiable , and looking at the picture there looks to be an additional circuit in the 32 amp RCBO if you identify the ring then remove the additional circuit and put it on its own circuit using one of the removed MCB,s 20 or the 16 amp one then happy days , but leave that on the protected side

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a quick read, why not take the supply side of the lighting circuit into an rcd spur mounted outside the bathroom then feed the pullcord then off to the light fittings?

Right ho looking at the picture its a star breaker split load board as has been mentioned ,why its got an additional RCD on the protected side im not sure ,here what i'd do move the additional RCD to the unprotected side circuits 6 and 7 look as they are not used so remove them , then the circuit that supplies the bathroom lights (no 2 as you have said) move to the RCD protected side that way its not going to cost you anything in parts , but dont forget to move the neutral of the lighting circuit or you'll end up with a tripping RCD ,and as has been mentioned this type of work is notifiable , and looking at the picture there looks to be an additional circuit in the RCBO if you identify the ring then remove the additional circuit and put it on its own circuit using one of the removed MCB,s 20 or the 16 amp one then happy days , but leave that on the protected side

Have PM'd you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Get rid of the RCBO buy another RCD and convert the whole to to a 17th edition unit then no more trying to juggle circuits

PS thanks for the picture

Reply to Should I put RCD on?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net